Upgrade Question

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello people!

So, July 14th I finally upgraded my phone from the OG Droid to the Droid 3 and was grandfathered in to keep my unlimited data. And while the phone is awesome, I'm definitely selling this baby to get the Galaxy Nexus. My plan is to sell this, and then use my moms upgrade as she has no use for it. If I do this, will I still keep my unlimited data? She doesn't have a smartphone so I'm not sure that since it's her upgrade it'll switch me to that awful tiered plan or not.

Anyone know for sure or has even done something similar to this already?

Thanks for the help!

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Hello people!

So, July 14th I finally upgraded my phone from the OG Droid to the Droid 3 and was grandfathered in to keep my unlimited data. And while the phone is awesome, I'm definitely selling this baby to get the Galaxy Nexus. My plan is to sell this, and then use my moms upgrade as she has no use for it. If I do this, will I still keep my unlimited data? She doesn't have a smartphone so I'm not sure that since it's her upgrade it'll switch me to that awful tiered plan or not.

Thanks for the help!

Unfortunately as I understand it, if the account you're going to upgrade is not on a data plan (dumb phone), you will have to get a new smartphone data plan which will not be unlimited like the one on your current line.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hello people!

Thanks for the help!
That's exactly how I got my Inc upgraded early from my D1. I used my dad's upgrade (regular phone + the only line with available upgrade) and the employee moved his upgrade eligibility to my line then it worked and I was able to keep my unlimited data plan. Though this was last Nov and I'm not sure if Verizon started their 2gb plan yet, I can't recall, but that's how I was able to upgrade early.

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately as I understand it, if the account you're going to upgrade is not on a data plan (dumb phone), you will have to get a new smartphone data plan which will not be unlimited like the one on your current line.
Makes sense.. hope this isn't the case. If so, I suppose I'll just have to use my d3 as the upgrade cost, then pay the normal 299.

That's exactly how I got my Inc upgraded early from my D1. I used my dad's upgrade (regular phone + the only line with available upgrade) and the employee moved his upgrade eligibility to my line then it worked and I was able to keep my unlimited data plan. Though this was last Nov and I'm not sure if Verizon started their 2gb plan yet, I can't recall, but that's how I was able to upgrade early.
Hopefully it's the same now. I'll see if I can talk to a VZW rep online now or go in tomorrow to check it out.

Edit -
Here's what I gathered from the Droid 3 IRC channel.
1zlcep5.jpg

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Makes sense.. hope this isn't the case. If so, I suppose I'll just have to use my d3 as the upgrade cost, then pay the normal 299.

Hopefully it's the same now. I'll see if I can talk to a VZW rep online now or go in tomorrow to check it out.

Edit -
Here's what I gathered from the Droid 3 IRC channel.
1zlcep5.jpg
Yeah you should be fine, that's how I upgraded 1yr early and they gave me no problems, heck Verizon was even glad to sell me the Inc and lock in me for another 2 years. I was happy to get an upgrade.

Go into store, they'll be alot more helpful.

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, I should be good! Talked to a vzw rep and he said I should be fine with upgrading like that and keeping my unlimited.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Yep, I should be good! Talked to a vzw rep and he said I should be fine with upgrading like that and keeping my unlimited.

Awesome!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Good to hear! Now you just gotta wait like the rest of us for the Nexus to drop -_-