updating from version 2.3.15 to the latest ota update

maneddi

Reaction score
i have a rooted droid x running the version above. i am not interested in running custom roms, i just want root so i can run whatever apps i want to. after rooting i downloaded wireless tether and the free version of titanium backup. wireless tether is my only means of connecting my computer to the internet. i ran a complete backup after downloading titanium backup. just messing around one day i removed cardock and blockbuster from the phone. i have restored blockbuster but can not get cardock restored. my phone has downloaded the latest ota update and wants me to install it. from what i have read, i will need cardock restored. is this correct?

i have been able to move a copy of cardock apk and odex file from the titanium backup folder to the /sd but i can't figure out how to get it where it goes in the phone files. whenever i go to /system/apps folder or /system/framework i can't paste. i think i need a copy of each in the /system/apps folder and the /system/framework folder. is that correct? i am using astro for my files. any and all help is much appreciated.

crap, today is not my day. as soon as i submitted this post i saw it's in the wrong section. can someone please move it? sorry.

MOD, please delete. i re-posted in correct place.

OP
M

maneddi

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks for your help. I have never done anything to phone except fort root. I probably find a guide to sbf but can you tell me what that does to things like my contacts, txt messages, etc..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
OP
M

maneddi

Reaction score
alrighty, thanks. you know, that's kind of a shotgun effect don't you think? i only need to move 2 files.

OP
M

maneddi

Reaction score
OK, this what i have done.
using general info from this link i downloaded root explorer and was able to move my files successfully from my sd card to the system apps folder but could not get them to show up afterwards in titanium backup. i figured since they were files i manually removed from tb they were prolly named wrong so to be right i went to this link and downloaded the entire zip. i was then able to place those 2 files in the /system/app folder and after rebooting they showed up in tb. finally...yea!!!
ok, i remember reading somewhere they needed to be in the /system/framework folder as well. does anyone know if this is fact? if the update looks for them there and doesn't find them it won't install correctly or at all, so i'm told.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
MOD, please delete. i re-posted in correct place.
In the future, just click on the little red triangle in the lower left corner of the post to report your own post to have a mod delete it. Now you have two ongoing threads going with this same problem and we don't really like that here. Hope you're not getting too confused yet.

Just be sure that you use info specifically for the Droid X as the stuff that works for the Droid 1 does NOT work for the X.

good luck

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
alrighty, thanks. you know, that's kind of a shotgun effect don't you think? i only need to move 2 files.
Shotgun effect or not, assuming RSD Lite recognizes your phone it's the fastest, most efficient method available.

Of course, some people like hacking on their phones. :)

OP
M

maneddi

Reaction score
UPDATE

after putting cardock back in the app folder i made a back up using titanium back up then deleted super user, installed z4root, unrooted phone, installed update, rooted using z4root and all is well. i have noticed that my phone reboots when i plug it into my laptop (windows 7) but other than that no problems. thank all of you who helped me. couldn't have done it without you.