[Updated] Hands-On Friday Quick Preview Pic With In-Stock VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
VZW-Galaxy-Nexus-Friday-hands-on-preview.jpg

One of our amazing anonymous tipsters was able to score this quick pic of the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It was in-stock (held in the back) at a Best Buy today, although the source reported they received them yesterday. The source got to play with it for a bit, and came away drooling. They didn't get much time with it, but were thoroughly impressed, and rather surprised that stores are "sitting on them" right now. Perhaps the phone really will release this weekend...

Update: Since we have received quite a bit of the same feedback regarding the relative "weakness" of this story from several different folks, I feel it is important that we take that input seriously. So, from that perspective, as the DF editor, I would like to take responsibility, and apologize that we didn't look over the picture better, and that the story's title was a bit too self-aggrandizing. Sometimes, we on the news team, get caught up in the excitement of a new release just like you guys do, because of course, we are Android fans too.

That doesn't excuse sloppy reporting though, and I want to thank all the folks for offering their constructive feedback. While technically, the story was "exclusive", because we were able to get a pic that was ours alone, sometimes, people think of that word, in larger terms than just that, thus making the story seem more "hyped' than it was intended. The article was really just meant as further confirmation that Best Buy and other retailers actually had stock and were sitting on it. The title should have reflected that better, and the article should have shared that the pic was of a demo unit.

It's great that we have members willing to share their input, as many of you did, and it will only help us improve as a news team to bring you better articles in the future. It's the openness of our forum members that makes DroidForums.net the best place on the web to come together and share about one of our favorite subjects. Thank you.

Last edited:

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yea this weekend kinda seems strange but if everyone is sitting on them then there is no real issue. We already know there is an update with the launch. They can't change anything if there already at the stores. Maybe the plan is to do a sunday release so all couple hundred of us can pick it up no problem and then it can fade away. The average user doesn't really give a blank about this phone and wouldn't pay full price or try to do an extra early upgrade for it. A weekend release with no promotion shuts all of us up and doesn't hurt the Droid branded phone sales. The average person will think. Android 4.0 who cares I want a phone that thinks while im sleeping.

Just me trying to stay positive about this whole thing.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I doubt VZW really is putting much thought into what a very tiny percent of its user base thinks. Truth be told, most of the people complaining on here aren't going anywhere because they aren't about to give up their unlimited data.

Only remotely rational reason I've heard so far is that VZW wants to add more bloatware, but I think they could do that with a update push at some point. It does sound like the LTE hiccup is probably the culprit - you don't want to release a high-end 4G phone with the network a bit under the weather as that's sure to generate plenty of unhappy customers, questions and returns (because the majority of buyers of the Nexus aren't going to buy for the reason we are, they'll just prefer it over the RAZR/Rezound/Bionic for whatever reason).

r1nstang

Reaction score
really....the tipster played around with the phone and was really impressed? seeing as how thats a non functioning demo phone I doubt he could get THAT impressed by it....notice in little words...the images are simulated and subject to change...kinda gives it away that its a demo phone. im still wishing it would release already..but i wont be able to get one...aint spending $700 on a phone...and no upgrade until next october

N4UPD

Reaction score
Got 3 upgrades next month so hurry up and release already so I can see which phone has the least problems before I decide what to get.

dkgershe

Reaction score
I actually got my hands on the Galaxy nexus yesterday in the Verizon store! Sweet little phone! It was not for sale yet, but the guy at the store let me play with it. Said he couldn't tell me when it was for sale, but they obviously have them stocked and the sales people are learning them! It is not for me, but i am sure people will love this phone. ICS is beautiful. I will buy the Bionic and wait for the ICS upgrade because that is in my price range right now, but all the rest of you have fun with the Galaxy Nexus!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I may have to look at the Bionic closely and decide if the other phones really are worth $100 more. Unless you watch a lot of video on your phone (and for the life of me, I don't know why people do) I think that favors the Bionic over the RAZR and Rezound. The camera in the Nexus might be worth $100 over the Bionic.

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
It seems the sim card issues with the LTE radio are a bigger problem than what Sammy and Google had anticipated and still don't have it 100% yet. This 4G has been a problem with a lot of phones since the beginning of the year. Thunderbolt, Bionic, etc... I'd rather wait a few more days than pick up a phone with some serious software issues. I just hope the fix isn't a band aid the lowers performance for the sake of reliability. That will be disappointing.

jnecessary

Reaction score
I may have to look at the Bionic closely and decide if the other phones really are worth $100 more. Unless you watch a lot of video on your phone (and for the life of me, I don't know why people do) I think that favors the Bionic over the RAZR and Rezound. The camera in the Nexus might be worth $100 over the Bionic.

Of the 4g phones out now on Verizon I think it is safe to say that the Rezound has the best camera, not really even close from what I've seen/experienced having had both the Razr and Rezound in my house. The zero shutter-lag is being marketed as more value that I think it is, the Rezound is really quick, but also takes really great photos, video is no slouch either, but I felt the Razr had a bit better vibration reduction in the video shots but pictures were lacking.

That said, I'm taking my "rented" Rezound back for the Nexus as soon as it is available and have a nice contact at the VZW store that will hold one for me. Nice enough to text me when they arrived this week, now if they would just let me pick one up!

Reaction score
Come on!! I'm sorry Droid Forum admins, but this is getting annoying now. 1 picture with no useful information other than someone touched it and it still needs to come out. Samsung or Verizon must be paying you guys good.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Come on!! I'm sorry Droid Forum admins, but this is getting annoying now. 1 picture with no useful information other than someone touched it and it still needs to come out. Samsung or Verizon must be paying you guys good.
What do the admins have to do with this? News team is trying to keep up with this confusing phone. Lets not point fingers because everyone is doing the best they can. VZ doesn't even know what its doing yet alone the peeps trying to get a handle on it. If you want no info til its officially out then just dont come to the forum....:blink: Throwing bribery insults is quite unnecessary (Illogical as well since just about every tech site and forum is also covering this phone so Vz would be putting out a lot of money if they did bribe people to keep it up in the news. :wacko:. Also wouldn't make sense to bribe then give bad info to frustrate people.)