Update Unsuccessful

cmhall9

Reaction score
Is any one else having problems updating apps.
I keep getting Update Unsuccessful error messages after the app downloads.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
Sign into google talk, try turning off the phone, connecting to wifi ( or 3G depending on the # of users using the wifi ) and maybe even uninstall the app and reinstall :) just some hints

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
You may have run out of space on your phone. Move apps to SD card or uninstall apps that are not needed, then retry.

OP
C

cmhall9

Reaction score
I have over 13GB of free sspace.

OP
C

cmhall9

Reaction score
Not sure what google talk has to do with it.
I've cleared the markets memory, and restarted the phone. It did not help.
Some apps do install but a couple like Angry Birds Seasons will not.

OP
C

cmhall9

Reaction score
6GB of free internal memory. The phone is only a few months old. Not alot of apps or photos on it.

devator22

Reaction score
Is it rooted? I always had trouble with my d1 with the market. I haven't had any trouble so far with my stock, unrooted inc2. When I did have problems, I would clear the data and cache of the market and that seemed to help for a little bit.

Edit: reboot after clearing data and cache, also

Sent from my Incredible 2 using the DroidForums app.

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
google talk and the market are on the same server, and I've had a similar issue and when I signed into Google Talk, it fixed it. I think I read somewhere that google talk has a higher priority or some nonsense :) if not, uninsall the app and reinstall

OP
C

cmhall9

Reaction score
I've learned that any apps on my SD card will not update. I have to move them back to the phones internal memory first.

jfeldredge

Reaction score
The download may be timing out. I have better luck downloading during the morning than during the evening, probably due to the network being busier in the evening. If I do get "update unsuccessful", it usually succeeds on the next attempt.

OP
C

cmhall9

Reaction score
After doing some research I figured out how to get around the problem.

If you are getting an "Update Unsuccessful" message...
Some apps like "Android System Info" and "Apps2SD" have a feature that let you move apps to the SD card. Sometimes a portion of an App would actually remain on the phone causing the update error. Move the app off the SD card and back onto the phone and try updating again.

If you are getting an "Install Unsuccessful" message...
I'm not sure what causes this error. However if you go into your "settings/SD card & phone storage" and unmount the SD card you should be able to download and install the app that’s giving you trouble. After your done mount your SD card. You may want to also restart your phone.

OP
C

cmhall9

Reaction score
I finally found someone who has had some experience with my problem. A Verizon rep said that the two virus scanner apps on my Droid X were causing problems with some apps as they tried to install/update. The virus protection apps were also preventing my phone OS from upgrading. After removing "Lookout" and "Watchdog" my droid was able to download and install OS 4.5 and I no longer have any problems installing or upgrading my apps.

The Verizon rep told me virus protection and malware apps are unnecessary. Google is constantly changing the OS in order to stay head of any problems. He says he rarely ever hears of infected phones.