Update to 2.2 Void Warranty

dreamtheater993

Reaction score
Does anyone know if manually updating to 2.2 voids your warranty? Not to be rude, but please don't answer unless you are sure. I see on the most forums that people have not been having major problems, but I just want to be sure, in case something happens, that I can take it to Verizon to be fixed. Thanks.

P.S. For those who have manually updated to 2.2, what problems (if any) have you been having? I'm sure some are minor, but I want to make sure they wouldn't be something that would be a deal breaker in retrospect. Thanks all. Enjoy your delicious frozen yogurt.

soccer568

Reaction score
Well i may be wrong but if you update manually the update you are flashing to your phone is the exact same update they are sending out when you get the update sent to you. The process is exactly the same its just automated so there should be no problems if you follow the directions because the file you are flashing to your phone is that same update they are sending out. Im pretty sure you wont void your warranty if you update it manually. Its your choice though the update should be sent to you anytime now so just wait if you are nervous about doing it.

Reaction score
you should be fine..i updated to 2.1-update1 manually and everything was fine...and i did the same for the 2.2

OP
D

dreamtheater993

Reaction score
OK cool. Now as a follow-up, I saw some people complaining that they didn't have flash with their version of the 2.2 update. What's up with that?

hyperlite456

Reaction score
flash just isn't included in the update, but is available and usable in the market.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no you won't void warranty because it uses the same method as if you received it ota.

other than the "update.zip" file in your sd card, there's no way they can tell you did it manually.

liz01

Reaction score
Flash

Where in the market is it avail? I've checked and can't seem to find it??

turdbogls

Reaction score
it isn't there unless you are a Nexus 1 owner. for us D1 owners, we will have to wait until tomorrow (or so i have heard) but if you can't wait, FLASH 10 beta is available on the web somewhere. i am ran the official 2.2 and BBv.04 (2.2) on the same flash file with no issues.

but the official (read:NOT BETA) should be available tomorrow the 18th in the marketplace....but we will see how that goes.

RichSmithSWM

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's true of all downloads. But the one I have for FRG22 has a Kernel Version with the email address of the person that offered it appended to it. I'm not sure if that's been done with the FRG01B download. If a cranky Verizon employee saw that, they may balk at replacing under warranty.

keiichi25

Reaction score
I believe the only thing that invalidates your warranty is anything that your provider will not support.

This being that if you opened up your droid to tinker with it, or if you rooted your phone and bricked it that it is no longer usable.

Using the standard Firmware that should be for your phone, doing either Manually or OTA, should keep you within your warranty. If you are trying to use some other firmware that is not supported by Verizon or by the manufacture for that phone, then you voided the warranty.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's true of all downloads. But the one I have for FRG22 has a Kernel Version with the email address of the person that offered it appended to it. I'm not sure if that's been done with the FRG01B download. If a cranky Verizon employee saw that, they may balk at replacing under warranty.

For pete's sake (not the dev) ...

If you are worried about it, then don't do it. Plain and simple.

There are plenty of ways to take your phone back to stock prior to returning it, warranty or not. So whay worry about it? You'd take it back stock and no issue.

If you do jump in, then you have the whole community here to assist you if you run into problems. I'll lay it out: if your phone can still boot to the "M" logo, it can be saved. 99% of the time the RS has revived a phone thought dead by it's owner.

Not to offend the more advanced VZ reps out there, but the majority don't even know what the word root means besides "plant?" let alone knowing what to look at to determine if it has been re-flashed to run something else.