Unrooting woes

shademar

Reaction score
My droid audio port has gone kaputz again (droid #3), which means time to unroot! No biggie, I've done this twice before without a problem, right?

Here's where I'm at:
Started on CM with Clockwork Recovery. Stupidly thought 'back to stock, unrooted option' in Rom manager would get me back to stock, unrooted.

Ended up on stock 2.2.1, stock recovery, but still having su icon. Except that Rom Manager can no longer gain su permissions (other root requiring programs like Cachemate still work.) Someone suggested trying z4root. It crashes as soon as it tries to acquire shell... So it's acting sort of rooted, sort of not.

I try flashing new recovery with RSD Lite. The process fails (recovery file fails to flash.) I try flashing a new rom: FRG22D file keeps the run button greyed out. I try various update.zips directly on the droid but of course these fail because I'm running stock recovery.

Okay, so I really need to get a new recovery image. Back to Rsd Lite, and I try moving the sprecovery sbf to different folders since I understand it can be finnicky...new problem: Rsd will no longer detect my phone! :icon_eek: It did 12 hours ago no problem. I've tried about thirty different iterations, rebooting everything and nothing has worked. Rsd has decided my phone's drama is too much for it.

So here's the thing...When I first rooted my phone everything had to be done via adb shell, but I can no longer find the commands and file now that Rsd seems to have gone de rigueur. Does anyone either know of a way I can trick Rsd into noticing my phone again or have a walkthrough of the old school recovery flashing method with the correct files?

Another question...for warranty purposes, would it be possible to just delete the superuser.apk out of /system? For all other extents and purposes it's currently stock (I got an OTA update after installing 2.2 for instance.)

Thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or words of encouragement!

OP
shademar

shademar

Reaction score
So on closer inspection it seems as though I don't actually have root (I was trying to install sprecovery manually via terminal emulator and it reported I don't have su access. I then tried to manually uninstall superuser.apk with Astro and it failed.)

So...as far as I can tell, I'm not rooted but it looks like I'm rooted (SU Icon). And without the ability to flash to my phone via rsd lite, I'm not sure what to do...

Any thoughts? Any way to root with a signed update.zip if I'm running the current version of android? Am I just horribly confused??

(Serves me right for trying to do something without consulting the boards first...)

OP
shademar

shademar

Reaction score
Eh, so if everyone thinks I'm an idiot, please let me know. My only request... instead of assuming this style of response: "Well did you DO THIS? WHY NOT??!! YOU PROBABLY SCREWED UP YOUR PHONE WITH YOUR STUPID IGNORANT STUPIDITY!!1!"
maybe you could say: "Maybe you should try [xxx]...for [yyy] reason..."?

I bought the droid one on the first day of release and rooted not long after. I see you kids with your one click roots and want to yell at you to get off my lawn. YOU CALL THAT MUSIC?? In my day we had to walk uphill for five miles in the snow to get root, and by that I mean install a hacked update.zip.

It might be curtains for my Droid the Second if all else fails. If you don't have a solution, mayhaps you can think of a particularly (and purely hypothetical) interesting death the little guy might meet...

OP
shademar

shademar

Reaction score
Thanks! But I think I need to start a new thread titled:

RSDLite won't recognize my phone, now what? :icon_eek:

Sorry about frustrated venty post. No drunk posting for Shannon.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Umm. Woah.

The link OTRebel provided does NOT require RSDLite.

OP
shademar

shademar

Reaction score
ah sorry, looked more closely. I tried that as well yesterday. It aborts mid install. I can post the error message when I get my phone charged back up but I'm close to giving up on this and just seeing if I can buy a cheap ipod.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
is clockwork recovery still installed?

as long as you rename the OTA file update.zip no matter what recovery, it should take.

OP
shademar

shademar

Reaction score
unfortunately no, I'm on stock recovery. :(

What I've figured out so far:
my phone isn't actually rooted but still has the su Icon.
RSD Lite won't recognize my phone so I can't flash clean rom or new recovery
I have stock recovery so can't use update.zips
z4root crashes, both trying to gain or remove root
rom manager won't do anything that requires special permissions
Terminal emulator says I don't have root access so trying to install recovery manually (different files, process described here Installing the SPRecovery Image Manually ) also won't work.

Is there a way to reroot 2.2.1? maybe if I could get root access I could switch to clockwork or sprecovery and use the above method...

thanks very much for the suggestions, and apologies for my general crankiness.

OP
shademar

shademar

Reaction score
Update.

Well today, for no reason I can identify, RSDLite decided to talk to my phone again! I was able to flash on sprecovery and restore to stock with the update.zip referred to by onetenderrebel. :icon_ banana:

I'm not sure why it decided to recognize my phone again. As a side note, I had to move the .sbf file to the rsd folder itself before it would allow installation and it never would allow a full stock rom to be flashed on but no worries...ninja is gone!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and help!
Lessons learned:
Don't try to unroot with Rom Manager (really really don't do this)
RSDLite is moody and unpredictable and really finnicky about where files should be
Don't post drunk dancedroid (unless it's happy drunk...)