Unrooted Droid X Keeps rebooting and stuck at "M"

mineman43

Reaction score
Hey,
I've looked online and can't find a solution.
My father has a Droid X thats less than a month old. It has never been rooted, bought it brand new and has no hacking programs or anything illegal. Today, his phone randomly rebooted, and is stuck at the M at startup. It lights up when plugged in. he said it's been rebooting randomly lately, but this time it's been stuck at the "M". I held the volume down and camera and the Bootloader came up, but it still rebooted.

Is there a solution that I can do here?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:welcome:

sorry to hear youre having this problem. was there anything in the past day that he did to his phone that might be significant?

if youre stuck at the M, you could always flash the SBF, but im afraid he will lose all personal data on the phone (no worries with paid apps, though because those will be there when he signs back in with his gmail account)

if this is what you wanna do, go here
Droid X Full 2.2 SBF
to get the sbf (assuming you are on the 2.2 OTA update, if not, you need to use a different SBF - pm me and ill help you with that)

and here
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/73579-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html
on how to properly flash it (its written for the droid 1, but it still applies to the DX on how to properly flash it)

let me know if you have any questions

barski

Reaction score
I was in a bootloop yesterday, i pulled the battery for 10 seconds put it back in and it was good to go.

I noticed you said its less than a month old. So you can take it back and get a new one if it really comes down to it.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry your having issues man. Had plenty of my own and they weren't self inflicted;) I'm on my 3rd X. I had one straight out of the box, grabbed OTA and would always get stuck on (V) every time I turn off and back on. An sbf might be your solution. Yes your dad will lose everything.

Sorry again. You can always call warranty.

FYI, my 3rd is running pretty smooth now. Little issues, but no stick on (V).

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had my first Droid X for 20 days. It would always get stuck on the M. I called Verizon and they said it was a known issue, and they sent me a brand new one preloaded with 2.2. All the bugs that my old one had are gone on my new one. I believe it has something to do with the OTA 2.2 update.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well when I received my 3rd one I took it straight to Verizon and let them load 2.2. It was right after the 2.2 OTA release, so it wasn't preloaded. Even though I knew exactly what I was doing I didn't want any questions asked on what I was doing with the phone. Of course it went through for her.

WireHead

Reaction score
An odd one...

A friend's Droid X is stuck at the "M" visually, but it isn't really stuck there. If you boot it while plugged into my computer (with adb installed) it comes up and mounts the SD card. "adb shell" works. And using "androidscreencast" you can see the screen (have to manipulate it using the real touchscreen and buttons as it is not currently rooted). I have applied the "full" SBF for 2.3.15, and no change. I noticed his /data is still populated with everything from before the SBF (which I find odd). I can't however access the recovery mode as it does not display. (Bootloader mode does display properly). Using the screencast, I'm trying to "Factory Reset" the device. Any other ideas?

Update: "Factory Reset" was officially a "bad idea". I forgot that the stock rom settings would not allow adb to operate. Well, Verizon is going to replace it anyway.