Unroot / Root to solve possible issues...

groovydeus

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else stumbled on this in Pete's Bugless Forum, but I think I am going to give it a whack before installing the next version of MIUI. Although I am still 95% happy with my Droid, I still have some buggyness and FCs (particularly with gps/navigation) and the odd WiFi issue. Would be interested in seeing if this is a weird 'magic bullet'.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...tc-think-your-og-droid-hw-failing-read-2.html

chewy74

Reaction score
Keep me posted... I'm curious if this will help

sstidhem

Reaction score
Looks like something I might do to get a more stable phone after I get a new one. Then I could give it to a family member without having to warn them about all of the current problems.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

OP
groovydeus

groovydeus

Reaction score
Well...to be honest, I kinda struggled with this initially - and am not sure if I have created more bugs in the process. So far, I don't really see any difference in the way that my phone is running. I have still had the occasional reboot, FC, etc.... My phone just powered off in the middle of a call and rebooted this morning. My phone overall seems quite a bit snappier with regards to network issues. (both WiFi and browser) But this may simply be improvements in the latest release of MIUI. Hard to tell.

Now that I have run through the process once, I may walk through it again in a couple of days...

sstidhem

Reaction score
So you went all the way back with MIUI. I was actually thinking about just leaving it with 2.2 Froyo on it so it would be more stable. I'm not sure if I'll honestly go through the pain of this though. I might just sell this thing on ebay for $50 and get iphones for the family and a razr or nexus for me. The iphones would reduce my "tech support" duties but then I can have an ICS phone to tinker with.

OP
groovydeus

groovydeus

Reaction score
Yep. Ran through yesterday afternoon again. First time may have been a bad download...so far flawless. (Fingers crossed)

Will update in a couple days. If anyone else give this a shot please post. The unrooting is actually quite easy. It's the rerooting and getting everything back on (I also formatted my SD) that took some time.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

dothedyu

Reaction score
Yep. Ran through yesterday afternoon again. First time may have been a bad download...so far flawless. (Fingers crossed)

Will update in a couple days. If anyone else give this a shot please post. The unrooting is actually quite easy. It's the rerooting and getting everything back on (I also formatted my SD) that took some time.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Please update. My phone's been FC-ing and dropping calls the last few MIUI updates. Also, did you follow that thread's exact steps? I remember I did this in the past but didn't solve it. I'll wait for your next update before trying again on my phone. Thanks!

OP
groovydeus

groovydeus

Reaction score
Well. As far as I can tell - my phone is running perfect. Yesterday was about as flawless a day as I have had with my D1 in months. No laggy, no FCs, no weird wireless issues, etc, etc. Not much more to say. I will post if things go bad - and it will be interesting to see if running an 'update' will break things, but so far so good. :unsure:

As far as the exact steps - yea, as far as I can tell.

dothedyu

Reaction score
Well. As far as I can tell - my phone is running perfect. Yesterday was about as flawless a day as I have had with my D1 in months. No laggy, no FCs, no weird wireless issues, etc, etc. Not much more to say. I will post if things go bad - and it will be interesting to see if running an 'update' will break things, but so far so good. :unsure:

As far as the exact steps - yea, as far as I can tell.

thanks. yeah i did it and it's definitely smoother with no FCs and less lags. still having battery issues where i jumps from 70-50-20-15 in a few hours of basic use. I recalibrated through the method of deleting batterystats in data/system but doesn't seem to be doing the trick. any suggestions on that would be great, anyone.

OP
groovydeus

groovydeus

Reaction score
Well...I did some picking around last week (went into settings and activated Settings > System > Battery > toggle off (to reset the current record of use) and toggled on. And found that Facebook was a hog. Not only a hog, but a huge hog - even more so than the display. I even had FB set to not auto update or provide notifications...and it was still killin' the battery. So...I dumped my FB app. I now have TweetDeck, and while it is not 100% integrated with FB, it does what I need. And is not killing the battery.

I am not saying that it is FB, but you may want to reset the record of battery use before you set your phone down in the evening and then check the battery stats the next morning. See if there is anything that is running in the background that is draining the battery. Has helped quite a bit for me - I was going to bed with a full battery and would wake up with 30-40% remaining. Since ditching the FB app I have woke with 80% the last three mornings.