Unroot before OTA update?

theragu40

Reaction score
Noob question - I have rooted my X using Z4root. I got an alert this morning for an OTA update to 2.3. Do I need to unroot my phone and/or rename the apk files for the apps I renamed? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

lori357

Reaction score
unroot befor update

If you're not having any current problems with your DroidX you don't even have to dowload the update. I was given this helpful hint from a Verizon tech support person. I had to call them three times and do a factory restore (along with everyone else I know with an. X who downloaded the update last week). I think I will NEVER willingly do an update again if I'm not having problems with my phone.

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Noob question - I have rooted my X using Z4root. I got an alert this morning for an OTA update to 2.3. Do I need to unroot my phone and/or rename the apk files for the apps I renamed? Thanks in advance!

I updated just so I could get the more recent ROM's. I did an sbf due to having Bootstrap and such on my phone.

If all you did was root without deleting any system apps/apk's, then you should be fine un-rooting and accepting OTA.

I don't know what Bootstrap does that causes problems for updates, think it's the logwrapper or something.

Edit: Yes, rename your .bak's back to .apk's for system apps.

Last edited:

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
YES! On ran into the problem of looking like I was still rooted, but I was not. Z4root saved my ass, though.

maderschramm

Reaction score
yeah, put all bloatware back, if you changed the build.prop put that back, any changes to framework need to be restored as well. rooting isn't required but I would recommend unrooting as well

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I woke this morning to an alert that the update has been downloaded and ready for installation. Surprising since I never got anything after rooting the D1.

Since I've done nothing other than root, OC and apply some root user apps, is installing it going to screw everything up? Remove root? How do I turn off the alert???

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no patience. I unrooted, installed update successfully, and now it won't root again. Hmmm....