unlocking the bootloader?

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Actually, some Chinese lady cracked the SHA1 algorithm recently. I don't know if the method is in the wild yet or if it's even true but it was reported in the news...

Sent from my Android device.

We must have this device unlocked... source? Crazy how ppl can do what super computers can't do in decade

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ex0rcist

Reaction score

So is this possible for the sha1 bootloader on our phones? Someone chime in.. imagine getting the bootloader unlocked for 20bux? Would this be a viable contender to crack the bootloader on our bionic or any other phone with a sha 1 encryption? Can we get the section of the bootloader that has encryption on it and get it uploaded to 1 of these clouds or not? I wish I knew more about these things cuz I would totally be on it.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
It's not even close to being helpful. Sorry.

How was it not helpful? considering the guys using rented servers with gpu accelerated supercomputers to crack 160 bit s h a 1 encrypted files and such in under 20 minutes something which people didn't believe up untill recently was possible with years with brute force cracking ..soo why couldn't it works for us. I mean this guys getting 400,000 possbile passwords a second with his application.

Snow02

Reaction score
Because it was a proof of concept test ran against a limited implementation of simple sha-1. The mbmloader protection is considerably (and I'm being euphemistic) more complex.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
Because it was a proof of concept test ran against a limited implementation of simple sha-1. The mbmloader protection is considerably (and I'm being euphemistic) more complex.

I tossed him an email anyhow.

ex0rcist

Reaction score
The guy who brute forced the considerably less complicated sha-1 in 16 minutes. Get his insight see what happens.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
It would cost you considerably more than 20 bucks of rented cluster time to crack a bootloader I assure you, even if you have all the files, information and programs necessary.

Snow02

Reaction score
The guy who brute forced the considerably less complicated sha-1 in 16 minutes. Get his insight see what happens.

I'll save you some time.

Nothing.

I know squat about crypto. You clearly know less. But it's fun to throw around the acronyms, huh?

[video=youtube;hkDD03yeLnU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How was it not helpful? considering the guys using rented servers with gpu accelerated supercomputers to crack 160 bit s h a 1 encrypted files and such in under 20 minutes something which people didn't believe up untill recently was possible with years with brute force cracking ..soo why couldn't it works for us. I mean this guys getting 400,000 possbile passwords a second with his application.

You do realize how many TIMES larger 2048 bit is than 160 bit, yes?

Sent from my rooted, ROM'd, and Safestrapped XT862