unlock wheel...

yamaha83

Reaction score
so there is an option on the left to unlock... then there is an option on the right to turn phone on silent... then there looks to be a space in the middle for an addition? anyone know of an app that uses this? is there a way to edit this so that the right side turns everything silent but leaves the vibrate mode on still? or maybe use this to unlock the phone and take you right into certain apps? could be a cool thing! or even adding more wheels that give more options as you unlock the phone...

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think so :( The only change you can make to the lock screen that I know of is turning on the pattern lock. You can also download 3rd party lock apps like Lock2.0

OP
yamaha83

yamaha83

Reaction score
I wonder if its possible for someone to make an app to take advantage of of this...

Last edited:

space

Reaction score
Good question, Yamaha. I got my Droid yesterday and that "empty space" on the unlock wheel was one of the first things I wondered about....

It would be a very nice place to put a user-selectable shortcut. Like: spin the wheel here to go straight to the phone dialer. Or whatever else.

OP
yamaha83

yamaha83

Reaction score
exactly! or if you get a notification that you have a text you could spin to go right into you inbox or right into your most recent text... and if that was possible you could even go as far as adding another wheel above the unlock wheel to give more options... :icon_ banana:

FarSide

Reaction score
Any new updates on this topic? I was just wondering about this myself today.....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Handcent provides a very similar SMS function.
There is a 'Pop Up Notification' that you can enable... what it does it this...

if your phone is locked...screen black... and you get a text, the pop up will turn on your screen and display the text without having to unlock the phone! Very simple, great feature!

there is a 30 second time out for the pop up so if you don't reply it will 'time out' and revert back to locked.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
This from the thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-news/7217-ota-updates-possible-before-11th.html, but it looks like the update will remove the wheel to this:

383d1260216824-ota-updates-possible-before-11th-screen.jpg

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I prefer the wheel. Loved the old rotary phone dialing motion to unlock the screen. Wonder why they changed it. Probably some people not bright enough to figure out how to unlock their phone.