Unique an out-of-the-ordinary new member thread

ammauric

Reaction score
Hello forum,
I've found myself stuck on this site many times in the last couple of days as I begin my research on a new phone.

Right now I have a dying LG enV3, it's always been plagued with randomly shutting off, and lately has decided it will only allow me to hear my callers sporadically unless I'm using a headset. Luckily I'm due for an upgrade next month (4/10 to be exact), and have decided that it's high-time for me to upgrade to a smart phone.

I'm eying up the Thunderbolt right now, and hoping that it will be released by the time I'm ready for it, and I have a few questions for the folks here in the mean time. Also feel free to recommend another phone (or even to try holding out for a phone releasing later this year).

Late last year I replaced my mP3 player with the latest gen of iPod touch, and so far it's driven me away from wanting an iPhone for something I'd be interfacing with on a daily basis. On that same note, whatever model of phone I get, I'd like to be able to use it for my music storage as well, so while I've seen some Droids that offer a 3.5mm port, I'm unsure if the TB has one, and further this brings me to my next point...

My car stereo can have an optional Bluetooth adapter installed - if I go this route, #1 has anyone else done this, and how well does it work (e.g. functionality, sound quality), and #2 would I be able to have my hands-free Bluetooth, and my stereo connected at the same time? Is this phone dependent as far as how it handles the devices (for example accurately routes music to car, calls to headset, and cuts off car when talking).

The next thing I'm in the process of finding out if Comcast will run a line the 500 ft to my parent's house, but for now they are using their cell phone on my plan as both a phone and the source of their internet (3G speeds while painful are better than 56K). --- I don't know where to begin with this one... while my area is currently 4G capable, theirs isn't yet - 1. What phone should I get for them that can act as a wireless hotspot/wireless tether? (I'm looking for the cheapest durable phone doesn't need to be the latest technology, if it's free with the contract I'd be thrilled) 2. Would it act as a hotspot/wireless tether on a 3G network correctly? 3. Any other ideas on this subject?

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Looking forward to participating in the forums and eventually joining the Droid ranks!

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Tb eill be a nice device. I have the d2 and d1 and you can listen to music from 3.5mm jack to the audio port in your car. I do it all the time in fact I dont even listen to radio anymore unless its via droid. You can put your music from your mp3 player onto the android folder via drag and drop into a folder. I too have an ipod touch and it was cuz I had an iphone. Apple is a good device but the ios is not for me I prefer android. The problem with the thunderbolt out the box is battery life. Battery life has plagued htc devices and to prepare for that I am preparing to buy an extended battery.
The TB can be used as a mobile hot spot but they charge for tethering.

Check out our TB section and here are some reviews:

http://www.youtube.com/user/wirefly#p/u/8/Y-3MOvuPFvU

OP
A

ammauric

Reaction score
I had considered the battery life, but figured I would give it my own trial based on my usage for the first few days/weeks, before I upgrade the battery and increase its bulk, especially given I already have chargers for my home/office/car.

I thought that using a smart phone for a wireless hotspot and wireless tether were the same thing, I'll have to research that a bit more. Wouldn't both accomplish the same thing, or are we talking only on the 4G network?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had considered the battery life, but figured I would give it my own trial based on my usage for the first few days/weeks, before I upgrade the battery and increase its bulk, especially given I already have chargers for my home/office/car.

I thought that using a smart phone for a wireless hotspot and wireless tether were the same thing, I'll have to research that a bit more. Wouldn't both accomplish the same thing, or are we talking only on the 4G network?

They are but if you gonna tether regularly I would suggest you sign up for the wireless hot spot plan. They are checking for people who use a extreme amount of data and people who tether a lot will be in that range.