Unable to send sounds and Ringtones

Shade2074

Reaction score
I posted this over in the Handcent forums hoping they would pick up on this and perhaps fix this oversight, but no one seems to have noticed it at all. I'm reposting here just in case someone else has also noticed this and would like to get this fixed up as well.

I've been a verizon customer for several years now. Just before upgrading to my first smart phone, the Motorola Droid, I used to own the EnV touch. There is one feature that I have been missing though since the upgrade, and that is the ability to send sound files including home made ringtones. I've been searching all over the net for a solution to this problem and so far I have come up with nothing. I'm convinced this must be a bug (or at the very least an oversight). The only way I'm able to send the files I used to be able to send right now is to send the sound from another phone to my Droid (via text message), and then forward the attachment to who ever I was going to send the file too to begin with. This of course requires two active Verizon phones and isn't really a solution at all.

I had come across the Handcent MMS forums a couple weeks and saw that a recent update may indeed support sound files. Needless to say I was excited.

I got the update, and I have tried a few of my sound clips (that I had no trouble forwarding or sending from my other phone) and I got mixed results. I could only send the REALLLLLY small sound clips, (which is better than nothing at all but not much) I was not able to send any of my regular ring tones or sounds.

I asked the people over at Hancent if there was any chance that they will eventually allow me to send all the files I am able to send from other phones - but in over a week I got no replies.

My thoughts are that since I am able to forward these files from my Motorola Droid - the fact that I can not create a new one must be a bug. Obviously the Droid is more than capable of doing this. I am new to these forums and only JUST found out about 'rooting'. I'm wondering if this might eventually be a possible solution to my problem?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Again, I'm using the new Motorola Droid on the Verizon network (if that helps). I had no problems at all sending these same sound files and ring tones from my LG enV touch, or my LG Dare before that.

rtb

Reaction score
Have you tried sending the ringtones to your phone from a computer (usb)?

OP
S

Shade2074

Reaction score
Have you tried sending the ringtones to your phone from a computer (usb)?

Oh, I have no problems at all getting new sounds and ring tones on to my phone, that isn't the problem. My problem is then getting the sounds and ring tones sent out via mms/txting to my friends and family (who are all over the place) on to their verizon phones the way I used too before I got this phone. For instance, as a joke I once took an auto clip off a home movie and made my brother sound like a chipmunk using a program called audacity. I then exported the sound file out as a 30-40 second mp3 and put it on my phone. With my enV touch all I had to do was go to 'sounds' click on the sound to bring up the options menu and select 'send'. I just filled in the right contact, clicked on send and a minute or two later I would get a humerous response from my brother (who is also on verizon) about the sound file/ ring tone he had just received from me. I can not find any way at all to send this same sound through my Motorola Droid. Oddly enough I couldn't even find a way to natively search for the sound at first. (I have since downloaded an app that lets me brows files).

I have yet to find any method (other than forwarding a message that has these files already attached) of sending these files out to my friends and family.

tsitalon1

Reaction score
I'm also looking for ways to attach other items to email/sms such as mp3's or ringtones...

Someone please tell the devs about it...

Can the 1.2mb verizon restriction be bypassed when on wifi?

OP
S

Shade2074

Reaction score
I'm also looking for ways to attach other items to email/sms such as mp3's or ringtones...

Someone please tell the devs about it...

Can the 1.2mb verizon restriction be bypassed when on wifi?

for e-mail I can help:

Download ASTRO File Manager

Long touch the file then choose send
You can send via Gmail and some other options - just not text or sms =(

pigpen

Reaction score
I"m having this same issue also. Tried to send a 2 second ring tone in a text message, and do not have the option to load sound files, only pictures, and then with astro, pulled up gmail and tried to send it. The sound file got stripped out of the message to the other users gmail acct and they recieved a blank email. I would love to see this fixed.

Squidpoker

Reaction score
I am also disappointed that I can't send sounds. Also emailing is not an option because most people I send the sounds to don't have a smart phone:(

dave21125150

Reaction score
Try using chomp SMS you can set the file size limit in the settings.You can use save MMS to save your attachments. You can find them for free at the Android Market.

Reaction score
I have been successful sending ring tones etc… using; ASTRO File Manager combined with Handcent messaging.