Unable to obtain IP address from Netgear router

Kutmulc

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to get my Droid 2 to connect to my home network (using a Netgear router) however, whenever I try to connect it will get stuck at "Obtaining IP address", and then it fails.

A few things to note:
I'm using 128 bit WEP authentication. I'm positive my password is correct. However, I also tried it with the security disabled. Even as an open connection, it CANNOT obtain an IP.

No Mac filtering.

I CAN connect to other networks (neighbors w/o passwords)

The router's signal is on an unused channel (11), I checked for conflicting signals.

I connect to this router regularly on my laptop/desktop.

There are very few other devices using the connection (in other words there are available IP addresses)

I've rebooted the router and Droid quite a few times.

Might there be something I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

SiGfever

Reaction score
I had to set my phone "Static" at my house for decent IP locking. Seems my wife's Itouch competes for the same IP address. I even tried reserving the Dynamic in the scope but it was still flaky. Damn Apples!

OP
K

Kutmulc

Reaction score
My Droid is brand new, so I don't have any APs on it yet.

How to I set it to a Static IP address? I don't see any options for that under my WiFi connections.

Reaction score
I had the same problem until I changed my encryption to WPA instead of WEP. No problems now.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

giant25

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I've read somewhere about 128 bit WEP problems with the Droid. Try WPA or temporarily turning off security to see if you can connect at all. Then Google your problem because I think I read about this on another forum.

OP
K

Kutmulc

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guy! But as I said in my original post, even with the security disabled, I can't get it to connect (hangs at 'obtaining IP').

Any other suggestions?

OP
K

Kutmulc

Reaction score
Just got it working, I'll post it here in case it helps someone else.

First, I updated to the latest version of the router's firmware.

Secondly, I removed the reserved IP addresses on the network.

(addresses ended in .2 and .3)

Thanks for the help guys!