HTC Rezound - WiFi stuck "Obtaining IP address"

abbakatata

Reaction score
I just received a new HTC Rezound 5 days ago and I am already having issues with my WiFi. It was able to connect successfully the first day I received my phone but not since then. When I turn on my WiFi it will see my home network in range, say it's "Obtaining IP Address..." then hang there for a minute before it disconnects then starts all over again in an endless loop.

I've tried troubleshooting with suggestions I've read on similar threads in this forum but none of them have fixed the issue. I've also worked with technical support with Verizon, my ISP provider, and HTC. Here's what I've tried:

-Unplug and reset router. Also, restoring router to factory defaults.
-Verified MAC filtering is disabled on my router.
-Set an all numeric WPA password, and tried with security disabled.
-Changed the channel on my router. (6, 10, 11)
-Forgot my network then manually added it back onto the phone after a shutdown/reboot.
-Factory reset the phone.
-Tried using a Static IP address.
-Verified my advanced settings - proxy is disabled, sleep is set to never.

My next step is to try a different wireless network later today to determine if it's my router/ISP or a defect with the phone.

Any other suggestions to try to troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated. My phone is not rooted.

RealThing

Reaction score
I had this same issue today with my Incredible 2. Yesterday it worked great, today it was in an endless "obtaining IP address" loop. Tried most of the suggested tricks as above with no luck. I was able to connect using a static IP, but I move around a lot and this would be an awkward solution for me.

The underlying issue ended up being the encryption method selected on my router (U-Verse gateway). When I switched to WPA with AES (the default is WPA with AES/TKIP) it popped right on.

Hope this works for you, cheers!

tc1

Reaction score
Had the same problem with a different phone, the thunderbolt I think.

It never worked, I ended up getting a new router, was time for an upgrade anyway.

That worked and works with my rezound also.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using DroidForums

mike1305

Reaction score
WPA2 issues

Registered to share my solution. AES is far superior to TKIP (which IEEE depreciated in 2009). My router was accidentally set to use both; the issue disappeared immediately. My guess is the droid charge's NIC has flawed firmware for handling TKIP. There is no security vulnerability related to disabling it. AES is orders of magnitude better.

cheers, Mike

mike1305

Reaction score
Well this is fun

Wi-Fi Alliance to dump WEP and TKIP ... not soon enough | ZDNet

The Wi-Fi Alliance is getting ready to put an end to WEP and TKIP on access points and WiFi devices.

As early as January 2011 the Wi-Fi Alliance plans to disallow TKIP on access points, with the standard being disallowed on all WiFi devices by 2012.

WEP gets a slight stay of execution, with the standard being banned on access points from 2013, with the near useless and outdated encryption standard being banned from all WiFi devices a year later.

WPA2-Mixed mode, which allows TKIP, will also go 2014, leaving only WPA2-AES.

Good news - couldn’t come soon enough as far as I’m concerned.

OP
A

abbakatata

Reaction score
Resolved

I tried a neighbor's secured router and accessed their wireless network no problem, so I ended up getting a new router (Medialink - Wireless N Router on sale for $49.99 Amazon.com) and that fixed my problem.

ganesh

Reaction score
When I turn on the WiFi it will see the home network in range, say it's "Obtaining IP Address..." then hang there for a minute before it disconnects then starts all over again in an endless loop. You can obtain your IP address using the site ip-details.com.
It gives the internet ip address, its location details such as country, ISP
(Internet Service provider),region/state,city details etc and location specific map.
It also gives the speed test results of the internet.