Uh Oh...

UnknowNinjah

Reaction score
I've had my droid for quite a while now A855 but yesterday for no apparent reason it started twitching and typing all over the place by itself kind of like it was possessed...

I use Rom Manager and tried flashing my current rom over again (chevyno1 SS 4.7) i tried going back to BB and still the same issue... it starts twitching everywhere before i even start installing apps...

is my :motdroidvert: farked for sure? what can i do or what can i try?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Power the phone off, clean the screen, let it cool of for ten minutes or so, and reboot. If the phone still does this, turn the screen back off and put your finger across the upper part of the phone so it's blocking the proximity sensor, then turn the screen back on. If when you remove your finger you're still having this issue it's time to troubleshoot more.

OP
U

UnknowNinjah

Reaction score
sorry for missing some details there... hehe...

Ive tried powering off the phone, cleaning the screen, let it sit over night (with the battery out), multiple reboots after trying different roms as well...

and to be a little more specific, it seems that the phone hangs for a little bit, then the first thing that happens is the HOME touchscreen button stops responding... the rest work... just that one stops responding... a few seconds later the twitching begins....

I just tried the proximity thing and same issue...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I had the same issue under 2.1 and early 2.2 stock builds with my phone after I'd been listening to streaming music while mowing the lawn and the phone in my pocket. The prox-reset trick always worked.

Are you running stock or a custom ROM?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sounds like you're not new to rooting. You can try restoring a backup, and see if that makes a difference. When you are flashing other roms are you doing a wipe of data and cache?

You could try flashing back to a stock rom and see if the problem persists. If it does you probably have a hardware issue.

Nice suggestion on having a clean moisture clear screen!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Okay. Make a backup in recovery and try a different ROM. Some ROMs have some proximity sensor bugs. If you still have the problem try installing a stock rooted ROM and see if the problem goes away. If not you might have to install the FRG01B update, do a hardware reset, and take the phone back to Verizon with the issue.

OP
U

UnknowNinjah

Reaction score
I was hoping it wasnt hardware but thats what i was thinking too... because yeah i did try to go back and got the same issue...

OP
U

UnknowNinjah

Reaction score
im trying to install stock image FRG01B w/ superuser ill be back in about an hour and let you guys know how that goes... if it fixed or what not... thanks for all the help though you guys are awesome...

OP
U

UnknowNinjah

Reaction score
but i dont think i can take it in anymore, dont have insurance on it =( and didnt they discontinue the droid1 anyway?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
It's EOL, that doesn't mean they don't have more.

That's the thing about FRG01B -- if it's the software that messed up your phone they're responsible for fixing it or replacing it. FRG01B is a mandatory update, so...

OP
U

UnknowNinjah

Reaction score
Ok so just finished the install.... everything seems ok so far going through the setup the only thing i notice right now is the little HOME button at the bottom is not working.... and about half inch above it either....
Havnt looked around much but is there anyway to calibrate the touchscreen or see whats going on with that little section?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I don't think you can recalibrate. I'm starting to think the sensor(s) may be fried. However, that's just an uninformed opinion based on research I've done into the calibration issue.

Someone else may say differently, though. It's starting to sound like you might have to do a hardware reset to see if it fixes the issue, and if not, FRG01B/Verizon here you go. :(

OP
U

UnknowNinjah

Reaction score
how exactly do i do a "hardware reset"? im willing to give it a shot... i just did a hard reset but im not sure if thats what you ment....