Ubuntu

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Well? Anyone?

Thinking about converting? Have more Linux experience than someone who works with it for a living? This thread is for you!

I just went over to Linux Ubuntu full time, of course there are problems, but that's why it's open source and free to use and distribute!

If a mod or admin happens by, feel free to make this a sticky if you're with it- like the VZ rep account related questions thread.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm running a VM with Ubuntu and I have to say I actually quite like it.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Laptop is running Zorin right now. Before that Pinguy, and then Mint.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Ubuntu 12.04 has a lot of issues compared to 11.10, Google Earth crashes, Wine doesn't run Windows apps generally-speaking, and my WiFi connection stops transcieving randomly for like five minute intervals on occasion.

But on 11.10 WiFi wouldn't work at all without a terminal entry.

How about other distros, similar problems?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Don't mean to bump an older thread but wanted to chime in.

Almost a year ago, I set up a server of sorts at work running Ubuntu. It was my first foray into the Linux world...the sysadmins I work with know a lot of Linux, and I'm team lead for our company's help desk, so I'm mostly a Windows guy. We use the server for desktop imaging, using FOG for the imaging software. I like the whole set up so far. Pretty stable, no issues...right now that box is a standalone system and not incorporated into the corporate network, so any desktop imaging has to happen either at my desk or with a long network cable. Heh. I've been in the process of getting it moved on to the corporate network so imaging can happen anywhere.

The Ubuntu of choice is 11.10. It's running on an older Dell Optiplex 745 with 2 GB RAM and a terabyte of HDD space. Already using about 200 GB of that. It was all quite easy to set up and I got it on the first go-round (I was so proud of myself...LOL). The hardest part was moving the image files over from the old server.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Bump away!

Ya know, Google as a company with thousands of employees isn't moving away from Windows for nothing, it's mainly security issues, but if I haven't said this already, Linux is only missing software support from companies like Adobe, AutoDesk, Apple, gaming developers such as Bethesda and Trey arch, you get the picture... I'm sure Micro$oft is bribing these companies or threatening treason or something to keep them away from Linux, what's not to love?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Google's a bit of an exception....their staff, for the most part, is nothing but developers that have a good grasp on other OSes. They've all got a Linux box that they do dev work on, and also a Mac notebook (unfortunately...LOL).

For the masses and the "normal" user, Windows won't be going away any time soon. Most people are far too familiar with the way Windows works so I don't think it's likely that we'll be seeing a revolution in desktop-based PCs. It's hard to change the mindset of the non-power users. Sometimes they have a difficult enough time just turning a computer on. ;) LOL.

I know whatcha mean though. A good chunk of our servers at work are Linux-based. RedHat and CentOS are the main flavors.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Haha well they can keep their Windows...

RedHat's the way to go for servers, well back in the day at least, I have yet to experience Ubuntu Server, probably the same basic thing though.

Any thoughts on how we have to use the Windows key as the super key on Linux, I'd put an Ubuntu logo sticker over it, only now I have a back lit keyboard :l

Veraster

Reaction score
Ubuntu is a good OS. The #2 best in my opinion. If you don't have the money to buy Windows or just really really don't want to use it, you CAN survive with only Ubuntu. Ubuntu is more than good enough for the average non-gaming computer user.
If you are a gamer, ubuntu can run some games with wine but for the most part it's really unreliable for games. The wine devs are doing a good job but not quite good enough to replace windows. I would use Ubuntu if wine was fully functional. Ubuntu is better than Windows in every way except it can't run Windows applications which breaks it for me along with almost everyone else. I use UDK, Adobe After Effects, Photoshop, Microsoft Visual Studio and 3ds max so Ubuntu just doesn't come close to working for me even with wine's latest updates.