txt messaging only allowed 160 characters?

learningtousedroid

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been using my droid and only recently have been getting notices that when I send a long txt message, i'm only allowed 160 characters when i send it to a non-verizon customer. Now I haven't really kept track but I am almost 100% sure that I was able to send a long txt msg to the same non-VZW customer previously. I know on the iPhone, you can send a long txt msg, it just gets delivered in 160 character increments. Does anyone know if this is possible or how can IO fix this problem. It's really annoying that my msg gets cut-off and now I have to be very mindful not to type more than 160 characters.
thanks.

also, i have the hardest time trying to figure out how to start new post/threads on this forum. Any suggestions?

djstar2k2

Reaction score
yeap that sucks but if its a non vzw thats what u get. i dont understand why becuz my G1 would break them up as well

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been using my droid and only recently have been getting notices that when I send a long txt message, i'm only allowed 160 characters when i send it to a non-verizon customer. Now I haven't really kept track but I am almost 100% sure that I was able to send a long txt msg to the same non-VZW customer previously. I know on the iPhone, you can send a long txt msg, it just gets delivered in 160 character increments. Does anyone know if this is possible or how can IO fix this problem. It's really annoying that my msg gets cut-off and now I have to be very mindful not to type more than 160 characters.
thanks.

also, i have the hardest time trying to figure out how to start new post/threads on this forum. Any suggestions?
Download an app called Handcent SMS. It will automatically 'split' texts that are over 160. So instead of sending a cut off message, it will send the first 160 as one text, split the difference and send the remainder as another text, and so on (after 3 it converts to MMS). Handcent does it all on its own so all you have to do is type! No more worrying about the 160 limit!