TWRP and USB OTG???

Batman8

Reaction score
O.K. so I went through with unlocking my bootloader on my VZW Galaxy Note 2 and also installed TWRP which I actually like a lot more than CWR (which I had been using now for years). The problem I have now is that I can not find a way to get TWRP to work with USB OTG!!! I have tried everything from resetting the defaults in TWRP, to reformatting my USB flash drive, to checking all of the mounting settings/options and advanced and no matter what...TWRP will not recognize my USB flash drive.

Can someone tell me how to get the USB OTG option to work with TWRP? All it sees is my internal & external SDcards, but no USB drives.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Seriously, am I the only one here using TWRP?, or am I the only one trying to use the USB OTG feature? I've seen several post on the net where others are asking how to use it too, but none of them were really answered. Is it that NOBODY knows how to use this damn utility?

Although TWRP seems to have more features/flexibility than CWR (like the USB OTG option), but I'll tell you one area where CWR wins when it comes to a comparison of the two...and that's in the area of "support"! You can ask all kinds of questions to the general public about CWR and actually get some help!!! Think about THAT maybe when deciding between them if you're just about to root your device.

At this point I'm seriously thinking about re-flashing CWR through Rom Manager again (now that I have unlocked my bootloader) and trying my luck to make a backup that way...hopefully WITHOUT soft-bricking it this time.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks CJM for your response as well as suggestion. I have followed your link and asked my question directly, so now I'll just wait and see if they respond with an answer.

yearn2burn

Reaction score
Thanks CJM for your response as well as suggestion. I have followed your link and asked my question directly, so now I'll just wait and see if they respond with an answer.

TWRP support as well as CWM support for OTG is just being added now. Go to xda-developers.com -> forums -> original DNA original development for the TWRP thread and DNA development for the CWM thread.I just loaded and successfully tested the OTG version of TWRP yesterday.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the update guys. However, so much time has gone by with no one responding to this issue that I made the decision to go back to CWR. At least it worked. I got sick and tired of trying to get TWRP to work! I wish they had tested it and made sure it worked BEFORE putting the feature in any releases...it's very confusing as well as a waist of my time to continuously play with an option within some software that clearly doesn't work.

Keel

Reaction score
I got this working today after a bit of fiddling around - Wasn't able to backup or format wipe my USB stick.

Few things I did, using a SanDisk Cruzer Edge 16GB:
- Make sure the usb-otg is a mounted partition (untick/retick if needed)
- Selected 'use rm-rf instead of formatting' under Settings
- Wiped usb-otg under Wipe\Advanced Wipe

Not sure what was restricting TWRP from writing to /usb-otg but it was now working, though still unable to 'format using mkdosfs'.

Figured I'd chip in my few bob.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Keel. I also got it to work a few months ago, FINALLY!!! I guess it took an update to get that feature working properly. It is a really nice alternative though when not wanting to save a 5-6GB file internally when you're low on space.

CWR should do the same and add that option.