Two WiFi passwords?

Jarl Redbeard

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I signed up at a new gym yesterday after moving to a new city. When I asked the front desk person what their WiFi password was, she gave it to me, but said there was another one I was supposed to put in as well. My phone only gives me the option to put in one (that I know of). It will connect using the first WiFi password they gave me, and will show full signal strength, but I never get a prompt for a second password and even though it shows I'm connected, I cannot use the Internet or anything online. Does anyone know how to put in a second password on the M8?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Usually you open your browser and there'll come up a promt there for a password.

OP
J

Jarl Redbeard

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Yeah I never got that at all when I opened Chrome. The workers just said the second prompt should have just popped up. I'm assuming they're all iPhone users perhaps.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum Jarl!
Not quite sure what would cause this, but thought I'd throw out a couple suggestions.
Have you checked your Chrome settings to make sure you have pop ups enabled? Or sometimes the pop up prompt may show up behind your original tab/window.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
This is a common issue with android devices and wifi networks that have a browser-based authentication method. They're quite hit or miss.

Sometimes, you can get the access point to redirect you to that login screen by simply opening Chrome and attempting to navigate to a website, but not always.

Some of these networks will launch your browser, or at least give you a notification that you need to sign in, which, when tapped will open your browser and should direct you to the login page.

I'm curious as to why they think it's necessary to use both authentication methods though. For a gym's wifi network, I would think that one password should be secure enough. Common practice for the browser-based login is when the network itself doesn't have a password to connect, such as at hotels. That way, they can either ask for a password their so that you can access the internet, or, in the case of the free wifi at my employer, we have just a page with some simple information about the network and acceptable use with a button to accept those terms to use it.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
The only time I know of two wi-fi passwords being needed (besides the browser based authentication listed above) is with wi-fi protected setup usually when you first attempt to connect you will get the wps password prompt (if the wps button has been pressed on the router/access point) then when you get authenticated you will then put in the "wifi" password which then connects to the network. Check to see if they have wps enabled ...the person you are talking to there may not know that they have to hit the wps switch on their router/access point.