TV crew: Composite cables to Component-only TV

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So I'm looking to buy a TV for my grandma and all her shows are on VHS. I'm fairly sure her VHS player only has composite connection and all these newer TVs don't have composite input. So, I searched Google for a bit and haven't found a definitive answer.

Can composite cables be plugged into a component-only TV? I've read that the yellow cable of the composite can be put into the green input of the component input for video (the red and white cables would go into their colored ports).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm assuming by composite you mean what I call RCA (Turns out RCA must be the style of connector because I'm seeing that listed on both types, but I've always called the Yellow, Red, White ones RCA), since you mentioned yellow. Not sure where you're looking for tv's, but I recently bought one from Wal-Mart for the gal in HR to do make-up inservices in her office with her existing DVD player. The green and yellow were "combined," but the red and white were separate from the colors for composite (blue, etc).

They do make adapters, but I don't know if they're absolutely necessary. Google

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Composite could be the old single plug connection.. They do have pig tails to turn those into rca.. They also have pigtails to turn rca into a slower rate hdmi as I recall.. I can't remember where I saw all these adapters... I'll look.. But a Google search didn't turn up much when I was looking.. I looked on an online electronic supply store..

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
By composite I meant the old yellow, red, and white cable.

Again, this is for an 86yr old woman, with DVD as her next fanciest form of media. I just never bothered to research more because I thought she'd be content with her old "tube" TV. Turns out after Thanksgiving she wants a bigger and clearer TV lol.

@Jonny Kansas
Yeah I seen the adapters too, varying prices. I would prefer not to use an adapter, but it seems I may just get one as a backup plan in case. I just see like old posts from maybe 2yrs ago that the yellow cable can go into the green input plug of the component ports. Nor can I find a definite answer to it either.

The flatscreen in my room has a composite input as I bought it like two years ago, but nowadays the flatscreens don't even come with them. I rather get my grandma something new than a "hand me down".

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And yes I know it won't be much clearer in terms of video quality considering the source, but my grandma believes so and I'm not one to question her since she's so darn stubborn about it too

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nevermind just found a Samsung TV that has composite input. Think I'll just go with that one to make sure. Not the cheapest one of the bunch, but if I do need an adapter it'll end up being more expensive.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Yeah, now it's just finding the time and at least a second person to help me take that dang Tube TV down the steps of her home. That TV probably weighs twice as much as I do lol

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Lol.. Come on..they're not that bad.. A tad heavy.. But not that bad.. If i was there I'd help ya

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Lol.. Come on..they're not that bad.. A tad heavy.. But not that bad.. If i was there I'd help ya
Yeah once the angles are figured out it's not too bad to get down. Maybe go invest in those "furniture carrier" things that you wrap around your arm, see if those help any. Those old TVs are just bulky and no real comfortable way to get a good grip. But if it drops...then oh well.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I remember having to carry my 36" down three flights of stairs....no fun! They do have some weight to them compared to flat screens, but are much more cumbersome.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The ones that suck are the huge 60 and 70+ inch tube tv's... Ugh.. The size of half of a wall..

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Taking things down the stairs is easy. Set it up at the top. Give it a firm push. Sweep up the little pieces afterwards.