turning Fascinate into hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrh313

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a good program to use the phone as a wireless hotspot, so i can get online with my laptop? I don't want to pay verizon's ridiculous 3G fee when i already have an unlimited data plan.

i could do this on my old samsung omnia (windows mobile) so i'm pretty sure i should be able to do it on a droid phone too

thanks

Nick177th

Reaction score
Are you rooted? If so, wireless tether from the Android market works great. Barnacle also works great.

OP
H

hrh313

Reaction score
how do i get rooted? i'm not sure what that means. Verizon is my carrier and i have a Samsung Fascinate. Is there simply a setting i put it on to be rooted?

thank you for your patience with a tech newbie

OP
H

hrh313

Reaction score
i'll also admit to not even knowing what being rooted means. If i root the phone (which is currently running 2.1), will it still automatically update to 2.2 when verizon pushes that out?

Nick177th

Reaction score
i'll also admit to not even knowing what being rooted means. If i root the phone (which is currently running 2.1), will it still automatically update to 2.2 when verizon pushes that out?

No it will not automatically give you the 2.2 update. To the contrary, it will block the 2.2 update. Rooting is allowing you to have access to your phones "root" permissions. That is to say, you can pretty much do anything to your phone you want. This is a good article to read up on.

How to root and rooting tips - Android Forum

Long story short, rooting will give you access to things the mfgr/carrier have blocked that your phone is capable of doing.

OP
H

hrh313

Reaction score
thank you. sounds like i want to get rooted - but maybe i should wait until 2.2 is updated to my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.