Turn off shutter sound?

theDmanVR6

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to turn off the shutter sound for the camera while taking a picture? There is no option to turn it off in the settings for the camera, but I was wondering if someone knew another way?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Mute the ringer volume on the phone, and the stock app won't make a shutter sound. The only other way to avoid it is to root and rename the sound file or use a third-party camera app that allows the shutter sound to be turned off.

VoiceGuy

Reaction score
It's an app that allows you to automate just about everything on your phone. It's not cheap (around $7 I think) and isn't the easiest to figure out at first but when you do the possibilities are endless. For example, I'm using it automatically take a picture with the front facing camera & send it to my Dropbox account after the 3rd failed pin attempt. I'm also using it to automatically turn wifi on when I get home and off when I leave. And one of the easier things to do with Tasker is mute, unmute, and change volumes based on time or location.

OP
T

theDmanVR6

Reaction score
If you look in the description of the app you will find a web address to download a free 7 day trial

jimbobby

Reaction score
Wow that sounds brilliant thanks. I really like the potential for such an app. Will take a further look into it once I get to grips with Android a bit more. Great stuff.

Will it work on all android phones or is it something which only works well with the S3? Mentioned it to my other half who has an older android handset the desire and wondered if it would work on that or if she would have to get a newer one?

Defo like the idea of taking a picture of those with failed pin attempts thats a brilliant idea. So much potential for such functionality.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
VoiceGuy said:
It's an app that allows you to automate just about everything on your phone. It's not cheap (around $7 I think) and isn't the easiest to figure out at first but when you do the possibilities are endless. For example, I'm using it automatically take a picture with the front facing camera & send it to my Dropbox account after the 3rd failed pin attempt. I'm also using it to automatically turn wifi on when I get home and off when I leave. And one of the easier things to do with Tasker is mute, unmute, and change volumes based on time or location.

can you post your script for the pic on failed pin attempts? That is brilliant!

VoiceGuy

Reaction score
can you post your script for the pic on failed pin attempts? That is brilliant!

That's what I thought when I came across the idea somewhere on the net. To accomplish this you'll need 2 free apps from the market which will work as plugins for Tasker. They are Secure Settings and Dropsync.

Create a new profile. I called mine "Unlock Fail" and for the first context choose State > Plugin > Secure Settings. For Secure Settings press Edit, Failed Login Attempts, and enter the maximum number of failed login attempts. I went with 3.

Next, under Task Selection, press new tasks (name it if you want). Media > Take Photo > Camera = Front, File Name = failedlogin, Naming Sequence = Series, Insert in Gallery = Checked, Discreet = Checked, the rest of the options I left at the default.

+ to add another action. Plugin > Dropsync, Edit, Sync now. (This action/plugin might not be needed depending on if you are using the Dropbox app auto upload feature. Not sure, I never tested it. The one downside of leaving it up to the Dropbox app to upload would be the power/wifi conditions you set).

In Dropsync you'll need to set up the folder the picture gets saved to with the corresponding folder in Dropbox. That should be it. Again... I didn't come up with this on my own. It's just a great idea I found. I'm thinking about trying to take it a step farther by adding more actions to turn on GPS, get location, text it to my wife's phone, and then turn GPS back off.

VoiceGuy

Reaction score
Will it work on all android phones or is it something which only works well with the S3? Mentioned it to my other half who has an older android handset the desire and wondered if it would work on that or if she would have to get a newer one?
Should work on any android phone... might have some limitations based on hardware. I used it on my OG Droid to do many things but couldn't have done the failed unlock picture taking based on the lack of front facing camera.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Thank you very much voice guy in response and detail!

I hope I can return the favor sometime, cheers!