Turn off E911 on Rooted Thunderbolt

neodem

Reaction score
I would like to turn off e911 on my Thunderbolt. I don't like the icon and I don't like knowing that I'm being tracked by who knows who. The main reason I rooted my phone was to have full control over its software. Assuming the e911 'feature' is software controlled, I should be able to turn it off now that I'm rooted. But I can't find any apps to help me out. Do you have any suggestions or hacks I can use to turn this off once and for all?

vatothe0

Reaction score
Download the tinfoilhat app. Turn it to the max settings. Watch for black helicopters.

Sent from my DROIDX

bdbraaten

Reaction score
It's my understanding the e911 feature being active is required by law and only works when you actually dial 911 so they can get your location for directing emergency services.

I'm unsure what your concern is.

OP
N

neodem

Reaction score
The law requires the vendors to make it active, not the end users. I have rooted my phone, it's mine. I want to turn it off. And it is on all the time on the Thunderbolts. You can see the icon up there... So nobody has a good solution to this?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No idea....As a Paramedic I can't think of any reason not to have it on a mobile device.
But to each his own, Good luck.

bdbraaten

Reaction score
You do realize that in reality disabling it accomplishes nothing for your 'tracking' concern anyway as the companies do it automatically constantly anyway?

The only way to not be tracked in any way is to not carry a phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
moved to thunderbolt section.

And I agree that the e911 was required by law so people can call for help in an event of an emergency. Being that a lot of emergencies happpen when you least expect it I know if I am in an emergency situation I want that feature and as far as are they able to track you well I wish there was an app (and there probably is) where you can make it easy for the appropriate emergency service personnel can track me. Emergency situations time is critical and if my device can help cut down on the time it takes to locate me then I am all for it.

alboboy10

Reaction score
U should be more worried about google tracking u.

gougeeye

Reaction score
Bad idea?

The tyranny of tracking our every move is a bad idea. Disabling e911 would be a baby step in the right direction.
If I were guessing I would expect the e911 function call to be buried somewhere in the Linux kernel. Better than disabling the e911 function it would be better if you could offset the GPS results by about 20 seconds of latitude. Just enough so the the tower triangulation would not disagree strongly and the location would be believed.

tracking aside if you want to remove the icon

remove all refs to emergency intents in https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_packages_apps_Phone/blob/gingerbread/AndroidManifest.xml and recompile the phone app... that may work

I would test for you but this sounds like a bad idea.

bigmatt503

Reaction score
Download the tinfoilhat app. Turn it to the max settings. Watch for black helicopters.

Sent from my DROIDX

Where might I find this app? I sure could use it...

Sent from my rooted and debloated DNA