Trying to make a theme/what am I doing wrong?

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I can't recompile the framework-res.apk on UD 8.0 I believe it's due to the use of 9png files with the guides missing but I can't say for sure. I can't even decompile it, change nothing and recompile it. I'm guessing it's due to that because I can change the other things just fine. Like vending.apk, I make my changes, recompile it, sign it and install it. No issues.

forkup

Reaction score
Are you using eclipse or using the build process from source? More info please...

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm just doing what I know how to do. (Yes I am a noob when it comes to code). So, I pull the framework-res.apk out of UD 8.0, I put that into the "place-here-for-modding" folder in apkmanager. I then decompile it (I have adb by the way). I go in and change all the icons and then go tothe various xml files I want to change and make my edits. Then when I try to recompile the file, it errors out. All the errors are for the png files not being valid. My xml changes seem to be ok.

Gimmie a minute and I will go do it again and type out one of the errors.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
C:\Users\Jason\Desktop\Apk_Manager_4.8\other\..\out\res\values\public.xml:3215: error: Public symbol drawable/status_bar_background declared here is not defined

SIDENOTE: There is no space between ou and t in "out". It just appears that way when I post this reply. If I edit it, it looks right, just doesn't when it posts.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
no one with help?

nyghtryder_9

Reaction score
I'm a noob but I just dabbled with the framework-res APk. Pulled it opened with apkmanager,opened in 7zip, made some changes to the 9pngs, then simply pushed the whole framework ack back with ADB. I never decompiled or recompiled. And it worked perfect. I didn't make any changes to the xml though.

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Gave that a shot. When I go to close 7zip and it asks me if I want to update the archive, I select "ok" and it tells me "can not update file" c:\Users\Jason\AppData\Temp\7zxxxx\framework-res.apk

ehunter

Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution to the 7zip "Can not update file" ?

I have the same issue and its driving me nuts.

luigi90210

Reaction score
Gave that a shot. When I go to close 7zip and it asks me if I want to update the archive, I select "ok" and it tells me "can not update file" c:\Users\Jason\AppData\Temp\7zxxxx\framework-res.apk
is the file in a zip file cause if it is you have to bring it out of the zip, edit it, and than rezip the file replacing the old one

i have been using that method for a while now and its working for me except i use winrar but 7z is the same thing pretty much

another trick i have seen people use is they change the extention from .apk to .zip and they use the default file explorer to edit files

hope that helps

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
hey xkape i know you're trying to theme with apk manager, but have you considered metamorph. from what i'm reading you don't really care about the method just as long as it works right? you can use metamorph to theme images as well as apply any xml changes you've made....i do it all the time after i install a new ROM

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I have no idea how to use metamorph. I have it installed due to putting on a different battery icon set. But as far as using it to make a theme? No idea how on that one.

Is there an "instruction manual"? Always good to learn new things.

ehunter... I went back to apkmanager to do it. sneakey_zekey (user on here) informed me of three images to replace before recompiling and it worked fine.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have no idea how to use metamorph. I have it installed due to putting on a different battery icon set. But as far as using it to make a theme? No idea how on that one.

Is there an "instruction manual"? Always good to learn new things.

ehunter... I went back to apkmanager to do it. sneakey_zekey (user on here) informed me of three images to replace before recompiling and it worked fine.

I'll do a write up on how to do metamorph because you're right, trying to find information on how to use it is almost impossible haha

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. Let me know when it's done and where you posted it. I'll put it to use. :)

OP
xkape

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's definately a writeup..lol I will try it tonight when I get home but, I did read thru the entire thing. Very good job I would say. Easy to follow along. I'll put it to good use. You might want to write that up for the How-To section so it doesn't get buried in this thread over time.

And thank YOU for taking the time to do it in the 1st place!