Travel settings to prevent roaming charges

KuddlKat

Reaction score
I'm visiting Canada for a few days. I would really love to have the GPS and mapping software usable up there, but for right now I only want to ensure that VZW isn't going to bury me in International Roaming fees.

I don't really see a setting for turning off the phone antenna, but Airplane Mode will do that, right? (Menu/Settings/Wireless & networks/)

I'm assuming that Airplane mode shuts off the main antenna, WiFi and Bluetooth. I noticed that WiFi can still be turned back on, however, so the DROID can still access the internet when I run across open WiFi points.

Are there any other settings I should worry about? Going through WiFi, I can't check my data usage via the My Verizon widget (apparently only works via their network, not WiFi) so I won't know if my phone is running up my bill until after I get back to the states.

Last edited:

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Airplane Mode will shut off the radio (phone)
You will not occur charges as long as it is off.

You can always log onto VZW with wifi using the full website....

OP
KuddlKat

KuddlKat

Reaction score
Airplane Mode apparently also turns off the GPS receiver, although the GPS symbol was still flashing in the notification strip at the top. So, while I was able to cache a small map with walking directions using WiFi, no actual positioning was working. Shame too, since the Car Finder application would have worked great for marking the location of our hotel.

Once I got back from my trip to Canada, I turned off Airplane mode and the GPS was fully functional again.

D

droidavie

If you go to Settings<Wireless & network settings<mobile networks on your droid, make sure the "Data roaming" option is UNchecked so you won't incur roaming data charges. Then you can screen calls and not get charged. And use wifi to send free texts through google voice. I used GPS satellites in Quebec and don't think I will incur charges since my "Data roaming" option was unchecked. But I'll post after I get my verizon bill.

Quick question, do you think GPS satellites uses data? I don't think so.....but I found it so weird that our navigation wouldn't work in Canada, it ight be something they're working on.

If you a final destination from the US to canada, note that the option to "Navigate" doesn't pop up........

danneskjold

Reaction score
GPS doesnt use data, but you need to use the cell towers to load the maps.

pennyb617

Reaction score
Prevent data roaming charges in Mexico

So someone simplify this for me. I just want a phone to make short calls home, check messages and texts. If I uncheck the data roaming will that be enough? Will I be charged for the weatherbug update on the phone or any other app that requires internet connection? Should I diasble my apps? Does using wifi accrue data charges?????
Verizon told me I'd be charged for email when I turn on the phone whether I open it or not.
Verizon told me to stop my email account to prevent getting mail.
Verizon told me to upgrade my data plan (to 64.99) and they would prorate the fee when I return and only charge me for 5 days.
Verizon told me to not use my phone and have my calls forwarded to my other Env3 line.
Verizon never mentioned disabling data roaming once (after 2 calls).

Now I'm really confused. Somebody help me.

Last edited:

pennyb617

Reaction score
So someone simplify this for me. I just want a phone to make short calls home, check messages and texts. If I uncheck the data roaming will that be enough? Will I be charged for the weatherbug update on the phone or any other app that requires internet connection? Should I diasble my apps? Does using wifi accrue data charges?????
Verizon told me I'd be charged for email when I turn on the phone whether I open it or not.
Verizon told me to stop my email account to prevent getting mail.
Verizon told me to upgrade my data plan (to 64.99) and they would prorate the fee when I return and only charge me for 5 days.
Verizon told me to not use my phone and have my calls forwarded to my other Env3 line.
Verizon never mentioned disabling data roaming once (after 2 calls).

Now I'm really confused. Somebody help me.