Transferring Data from One SD card to Another

Mr X

Reaction score
Simply put - is there a clean, painless way to transfer EVERYTHING from SD card A to SD card B? I've got a 32GB card on the way but have been *extensively* using the 16GB that now has everything from a solid collection of MP3s to games to movies to.. you name it. I'm just worried I'm going to break some filepaths or lose something in the move if I sloppily attempt to copy everything over from the 16 to the 32.

Thanks for any help.

symdev88

Reaction score
Simply put - is there a clean, painless way to transfer EVERYTHING from SD card A to SD card B? I've got a 32GB card on the way but have been *extensively* using the 16GB that now has everything from a solid collection of MP3s to games to movies to.. you name it. I'm just worried I'm going to break some filepaths or lose something in the move if I sloppily attempt to copy everything over from the 16 to the 32.

Thanks for any help.

Just copy SD card "A" to you computer, then drag & drop to SD card "B".

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've done this a couple of times now and it "seems" faster to put the full card in the computer and drag everything to a folder and then put the empty card in the computer and drag everything to it. This is as opposed to having either or both cards in the phone. Don't know if this is absolutely true, but it sure seemed faster the time I did it this way.

Good luck.

athurschwell

Reaction score
A couple of more questions . . . .

Newbie here . . . . I don't have much experience either with SD cards or with dealing with the Droid/Android file structure. So:

(1) I assume that you have to format the new 32 gig card before you do any of this?

(2) Will dragging and dropping the entire card contents of the old card preserve the whole file structure and required system files (including the hidden ones, etc.)?

Just want to be sure . . . .

timrock

Reaction score
dragging and dropping card a to card b will not cause any damage. its the files on the card that are being read, not the type of card. the way i went from 8gb to 16gb, was, i have a built in card reader. i put the 16gb into a slot, and then i put the 8gb into the adapter (this doesnt come with the phone, but comes with the card when you buy them) and put this into the sd slot. next, just open up both folders and drag and drop. Thats it.

as for hidden folders, just go to your folder options and make sure everything thats hidden is visible, during this procedure.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Newbie here . . . . I don't have much experience either with SD cards or with dealing with the Droid/Android file structure. So:

(1) I assume that you have to format the new 32 gig card before you do any of this?

(2) Will dragging and dropping the entire card contents of the old card preserve the whole file structure and required system files (including the hidden ones, etc.)?

Just want to be sure . . . .

(1) Yes. I found formatting the new SD card via the phone rather than computer worked best for me. This is done by selecting [Settings] [SD Card] [Unmount SD Card] [Format SD Card] on your phone. When I let the computer format the new card I had issues with SPRecovery and it's ability to mount the card for backups. Simply drag and drop the current SD Card to a folder as suggested above. Then turn off the phone and switch to your new SD card. Format the new card via the phone and copy the folder contents to your new card.

(2) Yes.

PARick

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I can:
1. Take out my 16gb micro SD Card
2. Put in a 32 GB SD card
3. Format the 32 GB one while in the phone
4. Put the 16 GB card in a card reader
5. Transfer all files directly from the 16 gb (in the card reader) to the 32gb one while it is in the phone.

I just want to be sure I don't screw anything up. :icon_eek:

timrock

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I can:
5. Transfer all files directly from the 16 gb (in the card reader) to the 32gb one while it is in the phone.

i believe there is no harm in doing this. you can always take everything from the 16gb and move it to a folder on your pc, to have as a back up.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I can:

i believe there is no harm in doing this. you can always take everything from the 16gb and move it to a folder on your pc, to have as a back up.

Good point. Why not backup the 16GB card to the PC where you know you have everything untouched. Then copy from the PC to the newly formatted 32GB card. Leaving your original card untouched so to speak.

nicnac

Reaction score
Hello,

I am using BlackMoon AttachSave to save files to my SD card...however I can't find the files or where they go once I save them! Help! I am a new Droid user I have the orginial Droid through Verizon and I am using the 2.2 OS

Thanks,

Nickie

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hello,

I am using BlackMoon AttachSave to save files to my SD card...however I can't find the files or where they go once I save them! Help! I am a new Droid user I have the orginial Droid through Verizon and I am using the 2.2 OS

Thanks,

Nickie

Assuming you get to name to object being saved, couldn't you just save an attachment with a name and then search the sdcard for that name?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've got a D2 coming and I want to take the info off the D1 card and load it into the D2's card. I'd kind of like to clean up while I'm doing this.

I have a Mac. The way I'm looking at it is I'll copy the D1's SD card over to my Mac, mount the D2 and drag and drop what I have on there over to the D1.

This looks pretty much like what timrock was describing on how to do it on a pc.

Makes sense?

timrock

Reaction score
I've got a D2 coming and I want to take the info off the D1 card and load it into the D2's card. I'd kind of like to clean up while I'm doing this.

I have a Mac. The way I'm looking at it is I'll copy the D1's SD card over to my Mac, mount the D2 and drag and drop what I have on there over to the D1.

This looks pretty much like what timrock was describing on how to do it on a pc.

Makes sense?

well the OP was just upgrading his card. i wouldnt recommend this when upgrading a phone. the only items i would transfer over via drag and drop, would be, movies, music, video, pics, docs. stuff like that. but i would not put the card from a d1 into the d2.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
well the OP was just upgrading his card. i wouldnt recommend this when upgrading a phone. the only items i would transfer over via drag and drop, would be, movies, music, video, pics, docs. stuff like that. but i would not put the card from a d1 into the d2.

Well, that's what i was saying. I'll download apps and everything off of my Google account.

Somebody told me just to take the SD card out of the D1 and put it in the D2 but it's got a bunch of junk in in so I don't think I will.

greenstrat67

Reaction score
I've done this a couple of times now and it "seems" faster to put the full card in the computer and drag everything to a folder and then put the empty card in the computer and drag everything to it. This is as opposed to having either or both cards in the phone. Don't know if this is absolutely true, but it sure seemed faster the time I did it this way.

Good luck.
I do what BoyouFlyFisher does and just got done doing it again. I have an SD card slot in my computer (and also a card reader that I could put both cards in if desired) and an SD to MicroSD adapter which usually always comes with all MicroSD cards. I just (turned my phone off) took the one out of my phone put it in the adapter and put that in the card reader. Then selected the contents of the card and copied it to a folder on my desktop. Then I put the other (formatted) card in the adapter and copied the contents of the folder to that card, took it out of the adapter and put it back in the phone, put the phone back together and turned it on. The phone recognizes and mounts/prepares it as if nothing has changed except you have a lot more room. You have the opportunity to add whatever else you want while it is in the computer also such as other ROMs or software you want to install then as well. -gs67