How to transfer SD card content?

warped1987

Reaction score
So later today, after I wake up, I am receiving the battery and SD card to go along with the HTC Droid Incredible 2 I got today. I need to know the method someone mentioned to me the other day. He said to hook up my phone to the computer (not sure which setting to choose, PC Mode, etc) and then copy the SD card stuff to the computer. Then I'm supposed to transfer that to the new 16gb card I'm getting. So who can tell me how to do this exactly?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
There are many ways to copy from one micro sd-card to a new micro sd card. Here are the two I would use.

1. Phone Micro-SD card to new micro-sd card (requires the ability of your PC to handle 2 SD cards simultaneously) This is how I copied my OG Droid card to my Droid 3 card.
a. Remove micro-sd card from phone and insert it into the SD Adapter and insert into 1st SD slot/card reader
b. Put the new micro-sd card into SD Adapter and insert into 2nd SD slot/card reader
c. On the computer, 0pen Windows explorer or equivalent (I use Free Commander with its dual panes) and copy all (or only what is needed) from phone micros-SD to new micro-SD
d. Insert new micro-SD into phone

2. Phone Micro-SD card to new micro-sd card (This is how I moved the files from my wife's ENVY 3 card to a new card)
a. Plug phone into USB Cable
b. Plub USB cable into PC
c. Establish the connection on the phone (each phone may have unique notation for this, such as data, PC connection etc.)
d. Iinsert the new micro-SD card into the SD Adapter and insert into the SD slot/card reader
e. On the PC, open windows explorer or equivalent similar (I use Free Commander with its dual panes) and copy from the phone
f. Copy the wanted/desired files from the phone to the micro-SD card on the computer
g. Put the new micro-SD card into the phone.

NOTE: There are many other scenarios, including but not limited to:
a. phone-phone
b. phone to PC hard-drive, then back to phone (with new micro-SD card installed

I am sure you will receive many responses, with many solutions.

Good luck,
Bob

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I recommend Bob's Note: b. method as it will give you a back-up on your hard drive just in case.

REMilk

Reaction score
I recommend Bob's Note: b. method as it will give you a back-up on your hard drive just in case.

Thanks MI, However, b. does not save the contents to the hard drive, it copies from the phones micro-SD card directly to the micro-SD card in the card reader. This requires only 1 set of copy/paste.

c. Phone to PC to phone.(Not written out) This would save a copy on the PC's hard drive. Theoretically, this approach takes twice as long as b as this approach involves 2 sets of copy/paste.

Bob

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
I messed up somehow, really bad I think.

I got my 16gb SD card in today, and it came with a little HTC SD to USB adapter thing. So what I did was plugged my phone into the PC and chose the option that is not even in the drop down list of Connection Types now, ugh. I don't know what it was called, something like Disk Drive.

So then I plugged the 16gb card in the USB adapter and went into Computer. Right clicked on my phone and clicked Copy, then in the USB I clicked Paste.

You would think it was as simple as that, so everything started transferring and when it got to my music it said there was a problem with it, and asked to Skip or Try Again. So I just went with Skip, and after about the 10th song it got to actual Folders that wouldn't transfer like DLNA, SVOX, Media, and all of them. Now on my phone half of my apps are GONE, empty icons on the screens and I have to re-install them all, I have a feeling a really messed up my phone. What should I do? Did I just lose everything!? Please help ASAP, thanks.

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
Update. I turned the phone off. Pulled the card. Rebooted and everything is back. Thank god!

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
hmmm, well it was going Really well until it hit that first music track again. It's just stopped at that music track. Wonder why it's not wanting to transfer the music. Unless it's just going REALLY slow for music transfer? UGH, I'm about to give up.

OP
W

warped1987

Reaction score
deleted the file that it was freezing on, along with some others I didn't want/need. See if it goes better...