Transferring contacts from SIM card

neesey3po

Reaction score
My Droid X is my first smartphone and it just arrived today. How do I transfer contacts from my old phone's sim card to the new phone?
I've been searching these forums and the web, but everyone else is talking about SD cards, which is not what I have. Any help would be much appreciated.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe your best option is to take phone and SIM card to VZW and ask them to transfer for you. If you had Gmail you contacts will automatically sync to your X.

OP
N

neesey3po

Reaction score
crap. I was afraid of that. Thanks for the answer.

A follow-up question: I do have gmail account & contacts, but have only been using it for email so phone numbers haven't been stored there. Could I have the VZW guy copy the sim contacts AND sync the gmail contacts myself? Would I be creating a lot of problems for myself by trying to have everything in one place now that I have a smartphone?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you can get VZW to copy to the X you can sync and merge the numbers with the email address. On the contract, now that you have a smartphone take advantage of having everything in one place.

If you use Google what you enter on the phone will move to the Google account and what you enter in you Google account via a computer will transfer to your phone.

If the folks at VZW can't get to your phone ask them if they can create a file that you cal load on your computer. That would allow you to copy and paste into your Google/Gmail/Contacts.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike