Tracking file found in iPhones and iPads

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/business/21data.html,

Apple faced questions on Wednesday about the security of its iPhone and iPad after a report that the devices regularly record their locations in a hidden file.

The report came from a technology conference in San Francisco, where two computer programmers presented research showing that the iPhone and 3G versions of the iPad began logging users’ locations a year ago, when Apple updated its mobile operating system.

After customers upgraded the software, a new hidden file began periodically storing location data, apparently gleaned from nearby cellphone towers and Wi-Fi networks, along with the time.

The data is stored on a person’s phone or iPad, but when the device is synced to a computer, the file is copied over to the hard drive, the programmers said. The data is not normally encrypted; although users can encrypt their information when they sync their devices, few do.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know how this works for the iPhone but I know with GPS turned on android phones they do the same thing but that can easily be turned off. If Apple's tracking can't be turned off than that is pretty jacked up.

Beardface

Reaction score
I don't know how this works for the iPhone but I know with GPS turned on android phones they do the same thing but that can easily be turned off. If Apple's tracking can't be turned off than that is pretty jacked up.
It cannot...

iPhone tracking: What you need to know - CNN.com

Can I stop this information from being collected?
It's not easy. You can delete this data from your computer, making it less likely a hacker or trolling family member would access it.
To find the file, follow this pathway on your machine: /Users/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backups/
But, the researchers warn, this file will be updated again every time you sync your phone to a computer. So deleting the data is an arduous task.
People who jailbreak their phones -- read more about jailbreaking here if you're not familiar -- can download a new app called Untrackerd, which claims to delete the consolidated.db file as it's created. That app is available from the Cydia app store, which is not sanctioned by Apple.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
its not just apple, RIM and android i know for a fact still track your phone even with location and GPS turned off.

im pretty sure palm also does this but dont know for a fact.

the reason iphones do this is to track, lock and/or wipe stolen / lost phones through mobile me.

locating.jpg

found.jpg