HP Slate will not be the iPad killer

M

Matth3w

Because they just killed it. :lol:

Report: HP kills Ballmer's Windows 7 tablet

Report: HP kills Ballmer's Windows 7 tablet
Less than two days after Hewlett-Packard acquired Palm and inherited the struggling mobile company's operating system, reports say the computer maker has canceled its Windows 7-based tablet PC dubbed "Slate."
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images​
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer shows the HP Slate during his keynote at the 2010 International Consumer Electronics Show on Jan. 7 in Las Vegas. HP has since canceled the tablet, according to reports. Click to enlarge
TechCrunch's Michael Arrington reports, citing an anonymous source, that HP was not satisfied with Windows 7 as a tablet operating system. And during a conference call Thursday about the Palm acquisition, HP was evasive about whether it would release the Windows-based Slate, Silicon Alley Insider reported.
The Slate is the HP tablet Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer showed off at CES in January. The report also comes the day after Microsoft said it canceled its Courier booklet project.
Why am I not surprised with HP's position on Windows 7? Read my Thursday analysis of the tablet-OS market, and why Microsoft loses if it snoozes.
Maybe it has already lost. Perhaps the Slate's reported cancellation shows that we might end up seeing mobile operating systems on most tablets.
HP has already announced a tablet that runs Google Android. So has Dell. The Apple iPad, which was released to the usual Apple fanfare this year, runs the iPhone OS.
Now, perhaps we will see more HP tablets, this time running a retooled version of Palm's WebOS. Do you think the operating system is up for the challenge?

OP
M

Matth3w

Like I said, Windows 7 is not a great platform for a tablet. Apparently, HP agrees with me and not you guys.

Droidfish

Reaction score
I'm with you there, Math3w, but I still want to wait what and see what the market competition creates as this new market heats up, whether it be a better ipad or a tablet from someone else. I would love to have one especially for travel and couch computing.

p.s. Where you been Matth3w? The only time I see you around here is when you're defending the ipad, jk, I was just used to seeing you around.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Like I said, Windows 7 is not a great platform for a tablet. Apparently, HP agrees with me and not you guys.

No disagreement here. Hell now that HP owns Palm they can make a REAL iPad killer. Imagine a 9" - 10" slate running WebOS on say... a Tegra 2. That would be an iPad killer in terms of hardware and OS performance/specs. Now all that needs to happen is for WebOS to get more that 500 apps in its' app store.

OP
M

Matth3w

I'm with you there, Math3w, but I still want to wait what and see what the market competition creates as this new market heats up, whether it be a better ipad or a tablet from someone else. I would love to have one especially for travel and couch computing.

p.s. Where you been Matth3w? The only time I see you around here is when you're defending the ipad, jk, I was just used to seeing you around.
I come on occasionally, but I lost most of my interest in the phone. I do nothing but text, make phone calls, and check email with it now.