Touchscreen responsiveness v iPod Touch...Whats the deal?

rkeller62

Reaction score
I would disagree here. The base code from Google has to be generic enough to comprehend all hardware platforms. Nothing prevents HTC or Motorola from

I agree for the most part but didn't google forbid manufacturers from skinning "Google Experience" Phones? At least this was true while the droid launched. However; the Incredible is a "Google Experience" branded phone so maybe they changed their minds.

I am pretty sure they changed their stance on that a while ago. I think to be Google Experience now you just need to include the Google apps, as bundled by Google, in the core OS.

iPirate

Reaction score
just my opinion. i am not happy at all with the droid's interface, never have been. and i've never even owned an iphone. look back at my old threads and this is one of the very first topics i posted on this forum, asking this same question.

for such an awesome device, you'd think they'd spend more time polishing the OS. even having my phone oc'd to 1ghz doesnt make it completely smooth. it's still choppy, it's still laggy. like when i close an app by pressing the home key..many times i come back to a blank screen, and my icons slow pop back up after a few seconds. things like this irritate me.

again, you dont have to buy in to what i'm saying, and you shouldnt have to. im just stating my opinions. i find it humorous though that people get so worked up over somebody else's opinion

That's the problem, you are disreguarding logic and basing everything on opinion. There are reasons for the choppiness it isn't because " droid fails android fails motorola sucks"

The OP is looking for answers not opinions.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The new HTC Incredible looks pretty smooth and fast in some of the youtube videos, I guess HTC did a better job then Motorola did for the droid.

They have more memory and a faster processor to work with. The pace of hardware development (and its cost) are usually determinative of the "job" done by software.

nolanandy

Reaction score
Yea this is getting awful fanboy. All he mentioned was the ipod was smoother. And it's always been true. even in tests, they still have the best touch screen. Saying..well it doesn't do this or that has nothing to do with the screen.

That being said...my droid transitions really well. I am happy with it.

saying the droid fails is wrong. They have sold 3 million of the things. blaming the phone is wrong, iphone has a phone. Thier software and hardware were engineered to be that seemless. Because it lacks in other departments. Apple has always banked on aesthetics to sell things. Iphone is no exception. Apple is very good at user interfacing.

Off the topic. I thought they sold more than 5M of the Droid. If it's in the 3M as of today, I can see why VZ want to carry the iPhone.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, everything in these forums these days turns into a fanboy argument, and the question at hand NEVER truly gets answered.

The REASON the iPhone/iPod/iPad UI is so responsive is due to the same factors that make OS X run so smoothly on the desktop (UI-wise) - and the same reason why OS X runs smoother on netbooks than Windows 7 does.

iPhone OS is a version of OS X; and uses the same APIs for drawing the UI (Quartz 2D) - this API is designed from the ground up to provide for smooth GUI rendering. It's been around for awhile, even in the mobile arena (iPhone OS is about to enter it's 4th MAJOR revision). Quartz uses the GPU hardware to accelerate rendering of the GUI, and thus the interface is VERY fluid.

Android, on the other hand, uses an API called Skia for 2D graphics (including the GUI) - unfortunately (for those who worry about such things) Skia does not use the GPU for rendering, and instead relies on the CPU. So along with all the other background processing tasks, on an Android device, the CPU also has to handle drawing the GUI. The only thing the GPU does is display what the CPU tells it to.

Kmart95

Reaction score
i own a droid and an ipod touch and i love both devises. and i have to agree the touch is much smoother when switching homescreens. but on the ipod/iphone u just get a few rows of square icons and a plain black backround. on android you can add really neat widgets and good looking, detailed wallpapers and live wallpapers. not really sure if that explains why android is slower but all i know is i prefer the way my droids homescreen looks alot more than my ipod so im ok with the fact that it is a little slower

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

iPirate

Reaction score
Wow, everything in these forums these days turns into a fanboy argument, and the question at hand NEVER truly gets answered.

The REASON the iPhone/iPod/iPad UI is so responsive is due to the same factors that make OS X run so smoothly on the desktop (UI-wise) - and the same reason why OS X runs smoother on netbooks than Windows 7 does.

iPhone OS is a version of OS X; and uses the same APIs for drawing the UI (Quartz 2D) - this API is designed from the ground up to provide for smooth GUI rendering. It's been around for awhile, even in the mobile arena (iPhone OS is about to enter it's 4th MAJOR revision). Quartz uses the GPU hardware to accelerate rendering of the GUI, and thus the interface is VERY fluid.

Android, on the other hand, uses an API called Skia for 2D graphics (including the GUI) - unfortunately (for those who worry about such things) Skia does not use the GPU for rendering, and instead relies on the CPU. So along with all the other background processing tasks, on an Android device, the CPU also has to handle drawing the GUI. The only thing the GPU does is display what the CPU tells it to.
Why would Google use something that wont take advantage of the GPU?

rkeller62

Reaction score

The REASON the iPhone/i
Why would Google use something that wont take advantage of the GPU?

Well one good reason would be that most Android phones don't have a GPU. Even the new Snapdragon phones don't have one.

Don't forget that Apple has full control of hardware and software, so they can be sure that all devices will use a GPU.

Champers

Reaction score
iPod doesn't have multitasking or phone related services running the background and isn't the same resolution as the Droid.
and that matters how?
And the award goes to [drumroll] THIS GUY!

dumbass_award.jpg

iPirate

Reaction score
Google should release 2.2 and require a GPU. Just cause htc releases a lot of phones doesn't mean they should define android

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well one good reason would be that most Android phones don't have a GPU. Even the new Snapdragon phones don't have one.

Don't forget that Apple has full control of hardware and software, so they can be sure that all devices will use a GPU.

My friend, I suggest you do a little research before you post. A Snapdragon chipset most definitely DOES contain a GPU; designed by AMD (ATI division). It's called the AMD Z430. I'm pretty sure that most previous Qualcomm chipsets contained an ATI based GPU as well, since all of these devices are somewhat capable of running OpenGL titles. The problem is, the AMD GPU in the Snapdragon has about half the pixel fillrate of the Droid's PowerVR SGX 530 - it has better triangle performance, but the fillrate frankly sucks.

(It is the ATI GPU that explains WHY the Neocore benchmark performs better on Qualcomm chipsets. ATI uses a different form of texture compression than PowerVR. On a Qualcomm device, the benchmark is using compressed textures. On the Droid's OMAP, it is not. That's why the HTC Hero's framerate beats the Droid on that test)