Solved Touch screen and touch sensitive buttons not responding

noctis

Reaction score
Hello everyone, nice to see that this forum is still up and running.

My screen and touch sensitive buttons don't seem to do anything!
I am currently on the stock Verizon rom.

I am not sure how it happened but, I can't seem to fix it.
I've rebooted/power cycled/hard reseted/cleared the catch but nothing seems to work!

I can't even click on the android button to try to by pass anything.

I can still boot into the stock recovery and turn on usb mode.

Is it possible that my phone's firmware needs to be re-installed?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Sounds like the screen digitizer may have gone bad if nothing responds to touch.

You could try and reflash the stock firmware but if its a hardware issue it will need repaired.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try squeezing the entire phone together... seriously...screen and all...that will sometimes, get the digitized to re connect to the screen, and work for a little bit...not always...

If not...as he^^^ said...its the digitizer and its either replace it, or the phone...

-insert catchy phrase here-

addphone

Reaction score
It seems you have to replace the the digitize with a new one.

minafrancisco

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
myphone A888
Try squeezing the entire phone together... seriously...screen and all...that will sometimes, get the digitized to re connect to the screen, and work for a little bit...not always...

If not...as he^^^ said...its the digitizer and its either replace it, or the phone...

wow!!! it worked! after some 5-8 mins of gentle squeeze, the touchscreen sort of 'warmed-up." initially it could only swipe vertically. after a few more squeezing and "pushing" left to right and vice versa, the horizontal scroll eventually returned. Thanks a lot!!!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Lmao, no way, that worked? That's hilarious and awesome for you.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060

minafrancisco

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
myphone A888
Lmao, no way, that worked? That's hilarious and awesome for you.

Sent from my Eclipsed XT1060
yup! I didn't believe it would, either. but no harm in trying and it paid off. before the touchscreen froze, I wiped it with moist cloth (maybe too moist) to remove the fingerprints & smudges. that must have caused its circuit or electrical impulses or something to go wrong. I'm glad it's back in order after numerous firm squeezes

mslaceyrose

Reaction score
That's amazingly awesome, minafrancisco! You must have been so thrilled when it worked. :) LOL who'd have 'thunk' it?
94lt1, that's who. :)

When someone posts a great fix for a problem, I often save a link to refer to later in case I, or someone else, has the same issue in the future. This is probably the most unusual thing I'll have in that file :D

ADHD_OMG

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4

Thanks - This seems to work.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
yup! I didn't believe it would, either. but no harm in trying and it paid off. before the touchscreen froze, I wiped it with moist cloth (maybe too moist) to remove the fingerprints & smudges. that must have caused its circuit or electrical impulses or something to go wrong. I'm glad it's back in order after numerous firm squeezes

Thanks - This seems to work.

I would bet it was the "moisture" which seeped into the edges of the phone's digitizer and changed the capacitance of the screen such that it couldn't properly detect where your fingers were. The gentle squeezing (and warming), may have helped the moisture to wick away and evaporate and allow the digitizer's circuitry to restabilize and begin recognizing the actual screen touches again. This is a common problem. It was most prevalent with the first generation capacitive touch screens such as those on the OG Droid. I discovered this myself when one tiny drop of water wicked into the edge of the screen and disappeared only to have the phone go from fully responsive to completely unresponsive, and then over time begin to both regain responsiveness and also begin selecting and changing things (ghost typing), on its own, before finally drying out completely and working normal again. This tiny dot of water took more than a day to be completely gone.

When you wipe the screen, try to use the minimal amount of water, and in fact either NO water, or use an alcohol based screen wipe or spray. Try to keep ANY moisture to the bare minimum needed to dissolve and wipe away the fingerprints and other muck that gets on the screen. The best thing to use is a lens wipe and just a tiny bit of the alcohol based glass cleaner made for camera optics.

And yes, I know I'm responding to an old thread but I'm doing so not for the benefit of the OP but for the benefit of others.

Logan Walwanis

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z2 Force
Twitter
@LoggieNeli
Sounds like the screen digitizer may have gone bad if nothing responds to touch.

You could try and reflash the stock firmware but if its a hardware issue it will need repaired.

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

I thought this would be some type of scam but surprisingly, I was wrong. This worked perfectly. Thanks!