Tonido Android client available - Your personal cloud

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm using Dropbox a lot. It's free and I've almost earned the max 8 Gs of storage. Bunches of friends, family, etc. drop files on each other all the time.

Is this worth the 20 bucks?

TIA

Agreed. I'm at 5.5gigs right now and love it. I usually use only half of the 5 gigs, but its nice to be able to send a gig or so file easily.

Droidfish

Reaction score
Did any body here get in on the beta? I got an email saying it's closed now but the app will be released shortly

PhAcEpLaNt

Reaction score
What about PogoPlug? Isn't that more similar to Tonido than Dropbox, and PogoPlug has been out longer? I'm not too techy, but Pogoplug seems very similar to Tonido.

TonidoDroid

Reaction score

importune

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I just installed this on my Linux server and only spent a few minutes playing around with it. Seems nice for accessing my files from anywhere on the web, but I don't see where the "sync" like dropbox fits in. I won't be uninstalling dropbox just yet.

Tonido sync's the same as dropbox, in a sense. The difference is that DropBox has to sync the files from your devices to their own, personal servers. However, Tonido allows you to use your desktop as your own personal server. When you share your files with Tonido they are instantly accessable (no need to sync, because this is the home of the file) to all your other devices. When you access the files from the other devices, you are essentially opening that file from across the web. When you save, you save it to your home computer, and thus, everything connecting to that computer through tonido automagicly gets the new file.

Also important to note that tonido allows you to mount all your shared files as a harddrive. You can share your desktop computer and then go across the country, open up tonido, mount your harddrive from home across the country. It'll be like you brought the drive with you, only limited to your net's connection speed.

Great to see the interest!! Currently, we have closed the registration since we have reached enough testers. We are working on the next release of Beta (with more features). We will update you soon. Folks, who sent request email to [email protected], will receive an email with link for latest beta apk ( ~ within next 1 week).

Please join us at our Forum at Tonido Support Forum • View topic - Tonido Android App - Beta Test Request

I was super disappointed in that news. When I read all the stuff about the mobile applications I see the "Its finally here" "You're wait is over!" blah blah, but in actuality i had to send out an email and wait... so I did, and then it turns out on top of that your not even sending them out in responses to the emails anymore. Very disappointing. I hope to get an APK soon....

[email protected] <- to there >.>

Reinhart

Reaction score
I use pogoplug as my cloud.. This looks interesting as well

dynodroid

Reaction score
Tonido Android Client Beta is available now

Dear Tonido Android Beta Users,

Thank you for signing up for Android Beta. We have a new version of Beta available with some enhancements. Following blog post explains the changes. Android App Beta 2 - Updated with your feedback | CodeLathe Blog.

Existing beta users - please uninstall beta 1 before you install beta Version 2. Here are the instructions

1. Go to settings - manage applications, Choose Tonido and click Uninstall.
2. From your Android Files, delete the Tonido.apk of Version 1 and replace with the Tonido.apk of Version 2 (http://patch.codelathe.com/mobile/android/Tonido.apk).
3. Please follow the steps below to install the app.

New Users - please use following instructions

The Tonido Android app supports the following major features:

1. Login into your remote computer (TonidoPlug or a computer that runs Tonido). Tonido Android App remembers your credentials so that you need not reenter your Tonido login/password every time
2. Browse your files and folders in the remote computer. Open many file formats like Word, Excel, Powerpoint and PDF (You need appropriate apps that open these document types)
3. Quickly browse your pictures
4. Stream your music, and listen to your music in the background
5. Instantly share any file or folder via Tonido Webshare and email the link (Webshare URL)
6. Take a picture using your camera and upload it to remote computer...

Requirements:

1. Android OS version 2.1 or above.
2. Update your Tonido or TonidoPlug to the latest version. If you do not have Tonido installed on your remote computer, please download and install the latest Tonido software from Tonido Download

Steps to Install Tonido App on Android Mobile:

Please note that we haven’t yet listed our Tonido App in Android Market hence some phones might restrict installing the app.

1. Download and save the Tonido.apk file to your computer from http://patch.codelathe.com/mobile/android/Tonido.apk
2. Copy the Tonido.apk file to your root directory of phone's memory card.
3. In Android Market, search for 'Apps Installer' application and install 'Apps Installer'
4. Open AppsInstaller App. It will list Tonido.apk file that is stored directly in the root directory of your memory card.
5. Just click on Tonido and Tonido App will be installed.
6. Click Tonido icon to start Tonido. Please enter Tonido username/password in the login screen.

For example:
Server: http://john.tonidoid.com
Account: john
Password: yourpassword

That's it!

CodeLathe is dedicated to creating the best user experience with Tonido either via browser or via native apps for mobile devices like the Android, iPhone/iPod, or BlackBerry. We would love to get any bug reports, feedback and any other comments that you have so we can make the app better.
To send feedback please post at our Tonido on Mobile forum:
Tonido Support Forum &bull; View forum - Tonido on Mobile or send email to [email protected]

Enjoy!
Tonido Team

diverbelow

Reaction score
Dear Tonido Android Beta Users,

Thank you for signing up for Android Beta. We have a new version of Beta available with some enhancements. Following blog post explains the changes. Android App Beta 2 - Updated with your feedback | CodeLathe Blog.

Existing beta users - please uninstall beta 1 before you install beta Version 2. Here are the instructions

1. Go to settings - manage applications, Choose Tonido and click Uninstall.
2. From your Android Files, delete the Tonido.apk of Version 1 and replace with the Tonido.apk of Version 2 (http://patch.codelathe.com/mobile/android/Tonido.apk).
3. Please follow the steps below to install the app.

New Users - please use following instructions

The Tonido Android app supports the following major features:

1. Login into your remote computer (TonidoPlug or a computer that runs Tonido). Tonido Android App remembers your credentials so that you need not reenter your Tonido login/password every time
2. Browse your files and folders in the remote computer. Open many file formats like Word, Excel, Powerpoint and PDF (You need appropriate apps that open these document types)
3. Quickly browse your pictures
4. Stream your music, and listen to your music in the background
5. Instantly share any file or folder via Tonido Webshare and email the link (Webshare URL)
6. Take a picture using your camera and upload it to remote computer...

Requirements:

1. Android OS version 2.1 or above.
2. Update your Tonido or TonidoPlug to the latest version. If you do not have Tonido installed on your remote computer, please download and install the latest Tonido software from Tonido Download

Steps to Install Tonido App on Android Mobile:

Please note that we haven’t yet listed our Tonido App in Android Market hence some phones might restrict installing the app.

1. Download and save the Tonido.apk file to your computer from http://patch.codelathe.com/mobile/android/Tonido.apk
2. Copy the Tonido.apk file to your root directory of phone's memory card.
3. In Android Market, search for 'Apps Installer' application and install 'Apps Installer'
4. Open AppsInstaller App. It will list Tonido.apk file that is stored directly in the root directory of your memory card.
5. Just click on Tonido and Tonido App will be installed.
6. Click Tonido icon to start Tonido. Please enter Tonido username/password in the login screen.

For example:
Server: http://john.tonidoid.com
Account: john
Password: yourpassword

That's it!

CodeLathe is dedicated to creating the best user experience with Tonido either via browser or via native apps for mobile devices like the Android, iPhone/iPod, or BlackBerry. We would love to get any bug reports, feedback and any other comments that you have so we can make the app better.
To send feedback please post at our Tonido on Mobile forum:
Tonido Support Forum &bull; View forum - Tonido on Mobile or send email to [email protected]

Enjoy!
Tonido Team

I also received that same email. Since I am running 64-bit Ubuntu, their 64-bit app is not ready and tried the other way but did not work. Was going to try it with my laptop here at work, but I forgot my laptop at home.

diverbelow

Reaction score
My ia32-libs are the newest, but one thing that is on the forum says to do: sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture TonidoSetup_i686.deb which is not under the 64 bit Systems. Granted, I did not have a chance to check out the forum last night, so tonight I will give that dpkg command a try.

tiggerxplur

Reaction score
all im getting on the android side is "profile already logged in failed to login"

do i need to make multiple accounts i can log into on my pc just fine

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
OK this thing is nuts. I am looking at my computer on my droid and I am absolutely nowhere near it. I setup users so they can see certain folders. Example: wife can see all the kids pictures.

I will be using this app more in the coming days but for what I have tested (just loading and looking at pictures.. showing my wife what I did) It's very easy to use and the pics load fast. 5meg pictures, 5-8 seconds.