To Root Or Not To Root???

ghcriley922

Reaction score
Okay I have the Dinc2 and had the original incredible before this phone. I love my phone and really don't have any issues with it. I don't however like all the apps that come with it stock. I am a little afraid to root because A.) I am not that savvy. and B)I keep reading it can ruin your phone. What would rooting do for me and is it worth it?

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root would allow you to remove bloatware, overclock, run root apps, and run custom OSs (Roms). Custom roms have various added modifications, looks/themes, and some are AOSP which remove Sense totally (CM7, Liquid, Miui). Check out some of the Roms in my Rom list to see if they have added benefit for you.

Bloatware isn't a big issue because we have alot of ram in these phones. Overclocking isn't either as our phones are fast already. Some root only apps like battery calibration and titanium backup are nice though.

It's a little risky but can become easy over time. If you do root make sure you have clockwork recovery installed and have a backup of the stock system before you do anything else after root. Also freeze bloatware instead of uninstalling it.

If you don't feel comfortable rooting it would be fine. This phone runs great as stock and has a lot of features that poeple on other phones get via root. But your phone will become even more customizable and perform better (with correct setup) if you have root.

Reaction score
Stelv pretty much summed it up. I had a Droid 1 before my Inc 2 and it was rooted, overclocked running a custom ROM and all the works. I rooted my Inc 2 and think I regret it sometimes. The only thing I've done since rooting it is freeze the bloatware. However this prevented me from getting the 2.3.4 update that had a new radio so I had to load the radio on my own, also risky. Now I'm wondering if Ice Cream Sandwhich comes to the Inc 2 what I'll do then to get it if it's good. I think there's a way to unroot it and I may look into it sometime.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sure the developers will cook up an AOSP rooted version of Android 4.0 if source code is released. Yes it may be easier to get it via stock through HTC though. It may be a while before HTC comes up with their version of ICS.