To root now or wait

Jedidr0id

Reaction score
Hello, my brother has the Droid x with stock 2.1. Should he root his phone now with 2.1 or wait for the evitable 2.2 ota update and then root? Additionally if he roots his dx on 2.1 now will he still get the 2.2 ota update? Please feel free to comment, I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

1694kyle

Reaction score
Root. Worst that will happen is you will lose it with the update.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
Always root! Plus you never know when they may send out an OTA to self destruct all stock devices. ;-)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
As much as I would like to start the Arsenio Hall esque chant of Root*Root*Root*Root*Root*Root*Root*Root*Root*Root*Root*Root*

I would like to know what exactly your brother or you expect, or are looking to get out of your device after root, the DX is still a fairly new device and unlike the Original D it is not fully recoverable

prince1071

Reaction score
what do you mean "it's not fully recoverable"?

Are you saying you cant restore it back to factory if needed? cause I thought you could....or am I bugging?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Are you saying you cant restore it back to factory if needed? cause I thought you could....or am I bugging?

bootloader still locked so recovery is only partial. and you can if you want but you need to find the sbf for the droid (its out there :) )

and may i suggest using the root method in my sig (click on the word ROOTED) instead of using one click root apps

prince1071

Reaction score
OK Cool....already snagged the SBF file anyway....lol but i got nervous for a sec there....

thanks for the info though....much appreciated!

donballz

Reaction score

bootloader still locked so recovery is only partial. and you can if you want but you need to find the sbf for the droid (its out there :) )

and may i suggest using the root method in my sig (click on the word ROOTED) instead of using one click root apps

Why is that method superior to the one touch roots?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Why is that method superior to the one touch roots?

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...id-1-regardless-os-version-16.html#post780551