Titanioum Back app question

trackman1

Reaction score
I just wanted to know can I use Titanium backup on my phone to be able to freeze or remove unwanted apps..if it is not rooted???

Thanks

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I just wanted to know can I use Titanium backup on my phone to be able to freeze or remove unwanted apps..if it is not rooted???

Thanks

No, all of TiBu's functions require root + most if not all require busybox as well.

Disabling and freezing are both the same thing basically. Purely speculating, but freezing via TiBu may even use the pm disable *app* command.

Removing apps that are installed to the /system partition without root is impossible. Most, if not all, pre-installed apps will be in the /system partition.

MrKleen

Reaction score
That Nexus is so easy to root that maybe now is the time to take the leap.

Once you do the fun only just begins. You will really enjoy Jellybean.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
Thanks...i would but I dont know what program to use or instructions???

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Thanks...i would but I dont know what program to use or instructions???

While I agree rooting/ROMing is awesome, I don't recommend that anyone should do it unless they are comfortable with the process, idea of rooting, and possible consequences of rooting. This is your device, you have to be happy with it and comfortable with it. If you are super nervous with everything you do with it, you may not enjoy the device as much. And that probably isn't what you want.

As far as rooting this is very well documented at this point. There are dozens of guides and videos explaining in detail step by step. I recommend folks read/watch some of those and familiarize themselves with the process prior to diving into the deep end. There is also Wug's Toolkit which theoretically makes things easier (process is the same, you just have a GUI and click on a few things while it automagically does some things). Personally, I don't like recommending the Toolkit as it cuts out parts of the learning process. Then someone who may run into trouble later on, perhaps won't know what fastboot is or how to use it. They then will have to learn in panic-mode "OMG I BROKE MY DEVICE!", which probably isn't fun for them. The manual process may seem difficult, but it is as simple as installing a few things on your PC, setting them up properly, and then typing/copy and pasting a few commands into command prompt on your PC.

Of course there are folks here, such as myself that will be able to assist you if you wanted/needed it as well. But I recommend some research into the process and if you want to root. Perhaps ask yourself "Why do I want to root?" "Because all the cool kids are doing it." <-- isn't a valid response, even if it is true.

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
thank you very much for your advice ...I will think about it...right now the phone is ok as is....maybe I will wait till whenever verizon decides to release JB

ntrddragn

Reaction score
You can disable those preloaded verizon apps with nexus without root on ICS. Once disable in the apps setting they won't show up anymore.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I agree with all the above comments. Make sure you know exactly what you're doing when you root, and that you *will* void your warranty. I agree with cupfulloflol, you _can_ use wugfresh's toolkit which is very useful, but you can run into trouble later and not actually know what it did.
As to what ntrddragn said, you can just disable the apps you don't want which is essentially the same thing and requires no nerdiness! :nerd::icon_ lala::wink-b: