TIP OF THE DAY: Keyboard shortcuts for Copy, Paste, Cut, Select All

jhumbo

Reaction score
I just discovered a very nifty trick. Our Droid Pros have keyboard shortcuts for Copy, Paste, Cut and Select all.

First off, in case you haven't figured out how to select text yet, you can double tap on text in a text field and it will start the selection view on the word you double tapped. Then you can adjust the selection by dragging each side of the highlighted area. Hopefully that made sense.

Now that you have selected some text, normally you could get to copy/paste/select all/cut by holding down on the screen and then a menu would pop up. Sometimes this worked for me and sometimes I would have a hard time because I would end up unselecting the text I just spent time selecting.

Anyway, here's the real TIP OF THE DAY to help with this. You can use the following shortcuts by holding down the menu key while pressing a keyboard character:

• MENU + A : Select All
  • MENU + C : Copy
  • MENU + X : Cut
  • MENU + V : Paste
Hopefully you find this useful.

OP
J

jhumbo

Reaction score
A question I still have is how do you select text on a web page?

google123

Reaction score
You can also select and copy text on a webpage using the default browser as well. Press menu>more>select text. Quick way is to press menu then the letter E.

Another way is to simply press Shift on the keyboard. A mouse pointer will appear on screen then just slide your finger on the screen to select text and let go and it will pop a quick message on screen that the text has been copied to the clipboard.

Only problem is trying to get precise when selecting text. A trackpad, or trackball would have awesome on this phone. I am looking forward to some type of pointing device on the next version of the Pro. Hopefully a small trackpad, a la BB or an optical trackpad such as on the Incredible. :D

Most shortcuts under that "more" menu have a shortcut listed right below them such as:

Add Bookmark >> Menu + a
Share Page >> Menu + s
Downloads >> Menu + d

There are many many shortcuts within Android OS. Also remember to press/hold when you are not sure. Press/Hold is used very very often for different tasks or menu items/options.

Last edited: