Tip Calculator/Bill Splitter Needed

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know. There are lots of these and anyone with half a brain can calculate a tip or split a bill into thirds in their head. But bear with me.

I often travel with several colleagues. We're all on per diems of about $50 day for meals. It's not unusual for six or more of us to share a meal and confront a server who doesn't want to split the bill. So I need a bill splitter and a tip calculator.

What I want is an app that allows me to enter the number of diners and then to enter and attribute individual items from the bill to each of the diners. The app keeps a running total for each diner and then splits the tip and tax proportionately.

This ain't rocket science. If I had the time and inclination I could build such an app in Excel. But oddly enough I can't find an app that does this. The best I've found is "TippoBilloSplitamus" that, like others, requires me to total each diner's subtotal unless I want to split the bill evenly.

I suspect I'm not alone in this. And I suspect others have daily per diems in their travels. It would be a bonus to have the app keep track of my daily meal expenses and let me know how much of my per diem I've used.

Yes, I know I can use an expense tracker for this. But it would be more convenient if I could use the "bill splitter" app.

So does anyone know of an app that has this functionality? Or is there an ambitious developer who wants to spend a weekend or two building one?

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Decided to check the iPhone apps. Lots of choices and the first two I looked at did exactly what I need. Get busy developers.

OP
jsh1120

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Droids

Reaction score
Decided to check the iPhone apps. Lots of choices and the first two I looked at did exactly what I need. Get busy developers.
Your best bet then, is to contact the developers of the iPhone apps that do just what you want, and ask them if they have any plans to port their apps to Android. They will do it if there is enough interest, especially if they are paid apps.

xnsn

Reaction score
>What I want is an app that allows me to enter the number of diners and then to enter and attribute individual items from the bill to each of the diners. The app keeps a running total for each diner and then splits the tip and tax proportionately.

Check out BillSplitter by Handymob. It does exactly that!!!
Let me know your suggestions.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tyr billsplitter in the market.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Is an app necessary? I'd use search/microphone "what is X divided by X" then upon receiving that amount I'd do the same thing and ask what is 20% of X and then you would have it.

Plus it would be a great way of showing off your Droid to a bunch of people. :)

xnsn

Reaction score
hookbill -- BillSplitter does more than that -- it can handle, if you want to split drinks, appetizers, desserts among different people.

Using voice search is cool though, I hadn't thought about trying that :)

ipawd1

Reaction score
Just search the market for TIP CALCULATOR. I use the one with the square box wit the mug in the middle.