Tim Cook Email Explains Why Apple Won't Help Hack Shooter's iPhone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
tim-cook-apple-logo-thinking.jpg

The following report is obviously not Android related, but it is one of the biggest stories across the globe right now. Since it is mobile related, we wanted to share it here.

Apple CEO, Tim Cook acknowledged the latest drama surrounding the Apple's refusal to unlock the San Bernardino shooter's iPhone. Cook sent out an email to Apple employees explaining the tough position they are facing. He shared that “it does not feel right” to refuse to help the FBI hack the iPhone used by the terrorist in the mass shootings; however, he explained that complying with the demand would threaten data security for millions, and would also threaten “everyone’s civil liberties.”

Cook reassured employees in the email, "“We have no tolerance or sympathy for terrorists. When they commit unspeakable acts like the tragic attacks in San Bernardino, we work to help the authorities pursue justice for the victims.” Then he reiterated the alternative, that hacking the iPhone would risk the “security of hundreds of millions of law-abiding people.”

He elaborated by sharing that “Apple is a uniquely American company. It does not feel right to be on the opposite side of the government in a case centering on the freedoms and liberties that government is meant to protect.” But he said, “this case is about much more than a single phone or a single investigation, so when we received the government’s order we knew we had to speak out.”

The difficulty in this case stems from the fact that in order for Apple to comply with the FBI's request, Apple would have to code an entirely new version of iOS that would act as a "master key" to all other versions of iOS on Apple devices. Besides the fact that this would obviously be a major ethical breach for Apple, and besides the fact that it would basically invalidate Apple's reputation as a secure ecosystem, there is another problem if Apple were to capitulate.

Apple also explained how unsafe it would be for Apple to have and hold on to this “master key” once it is created. Cook explained that even if Apple did its best to protect the technology, Apple “would be relentlessly attacked by hackers and cybercriminals.”

Basically, if Apple created this hacked skeleton key for all iOS devices, it would be like creating an ultra-powerful cyber super-weapon which could be exploited to undermine security for future generations of Apple device users. If that weapon ever fell into the wrong hands the result could be catastrophic. Apple shared that “The only way to guarantee such a powerful tool isn’t abused and doesn’t fall into the wrong hands is to never create it.”

Source: Yahoo

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One thing he stated erroneously is using the technology to "bring justice". Dude is dead , he's worm food. No justice can be meated against dirt, thus there can only be 2 reasons they'd want it; find accomplices or prevention of a repeat scenario, both of which are unconstitutional reasons for the demand.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Lol gotta love him claiming to worry about our civil liberties. How about the civil liberties of your workers who require suicide nets to catch them?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
How is, under court order, hacking a dead perp's phone jeopardizing millions of law abiding citizens' security? Dumb logic by an idiot in charge of the worst company ever.

lesboots

Reaction score
How is, under court order, hacking a dead perp's phone jeopardizing millions of law abiding citizens' security? Dumb logic by an idiot in charge of the worst company ever.
Because if they create the key to unlock this dead murderer's IPhone, it would then exist and could be possibly be used nefariously and compromise all Apple users' future security.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
There seems to be so much wrong with this situation. Are the FBI technicians so ridiculously stupid that they did not make a clone of this phone before doing anything to it so that if something went wrong you could just make another copy and try again? I repair computers and before I screw with someones hard drive I make sure I have it copied just in case. What the heck is Apples "security " system that totally erases a phone after some number of failed log in attempts???? Here sir we found your phone but by the way all your important stuff is now gone hope you backed it up! That is help not many people want. Companies maybe that would just reclone it.It seems to me this should have gotten worked out before it got to the point to be released in a court document for all to see. No winner is going to come of this. I see no solution now that is likely to make anyone happy.Apple will lose this battle in a bad way and as a result their inflexible stance will make us all losers.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because if they create the key to unlock this dead murderer's IPhone, it would then exist and could be possibly be used nefariously and compromise all Apple users' future security.

So the potential to make the key already exists. I don't trust Apple with that capability anymore than I do the government. Plus I don't have an iPhone so I don't care. However, if doing this prevents a single death in the future then it needs to be done.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not if you read fbi request which states that after apple assists with unlocking they can keep the software and destroy it if so they wish.

This is going to court and apple is guaranteed to lose as victims and their families will be assisting fbi.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not if you read fbi request which states that after apple assists with unlocking they can keep the software and destroy it if so they wish.

This is going to court and apple is guaranteed to lose as victims and their families will be assisting fbi.
The biggest lie ever told
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help" . I think Ronald Reagan said that.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
The ex head of the CIA and NSA supports Apple:
Ex-NSA chief backs Apple on iPhone ‘back doors’
Apple FBI Debate: Former NSA Director Sides with Apple
Former NSA Chief Michael Hayden Sides With Apple, Though Admits 'No Encryption Is Unbreakable' | Billboard

But the court isn't just asking or ordering Apple to unlock the phone.
The court is demanding that Apple engineer a method to open the phone that does not exist.
1. Installing OS on a locked device typically wipes the device or you can't even install because you have not clicked the box that says install while the phone is unlocked.They are asking Apple for a custom install that does not wipe the device and bypasses authorization to install an OS update.. This would be an exploit and a end around how the install works. bad idea. Now Apple could plug that hole after it's done.
2. They are asking Apple to disable the 10 wrong password wipe and allow as many passwords at they want.
3. They are also asking that in allowing more than 10 passwords, they also allow them to be entered by a machine in some fashion, via Lighting Cable, etc.

So what they are actually asking for is not an unlock, but multiple hacks and a custom iOS that if developed would allow anyone to brute force a phone, if the software got into the wild.

This is an overreach.
The government has no authority to compel a private company to develop software to do anything.
This is not s simple as the FBI would like to make it and Apple is doing the right thing.

Also the FBI screwed up by resetting the iCloud password that would have allowed them to get a copy of the contents had they not screwed up. vSo now they want Apple to save their butts.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So the potential to make the key already exists. I don't trust Apple with that capability anymore than I do the government. Plus I don't have an iPhone so I don't care. However, if doing this prevents a single death in the future then it needs to be done.
It's not just about Apple, though. Google's CEO openly backed Tim Cook. I'm not willing to give up my right to privacy over the FBI's guessing game, especially when the FBI is held accountable to no one.

In fact, there is evidence the FBI already had/has access to the device and may be using terrorism as a scare tactic to gain access to everyone's device.

"We don't spy on everyone." - NSA

It's scary to think people are so willing to give up their Constitutional rights.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Gates long ago set the tech standard for commitment to community with his nonprofit charitable ventures in stark contrast to Apple, under Jobs and now Cook, which infamously has one of the worst records of charitable giving and community support. Cook is posing as a defender of privacy, while dancing on the graves of terrorist victims, when in reality he is merely building Apple's brand and long term profits with his stunt.
I was for Apple when this story first aired but as more information surfaces the more I support FBI in this case.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here's some interesting fuel to the fire. Bill Gates recently made statements which suggest he supports the FBI in this feud. He later backtracked a little bit, indicating that the issue is very grey, and that his complete view was mischaracterized.

Here are a couple of stories on Gates' statements:

Honestly, with the mix of Gates siding with the FBI and Donald Trump openly encouraging Apple to allow the FBI access, my entire week has been flipped topside.

Gates long ago set the tech standard for commitment to community with his nonprofit charitable ventures in stark contrast to Apple, under Jobs and now Cook, which infamously has one of the worst records of charitable giving and community support. Cook is posing as a defender of privacy, while dancing on the graves of terrorist victims, when in reality he is merely building Apple's brand and long term profits with his stunt.
I was for Apple when this story first aired but as more information surfaces the more I support FBI in this case.

Apple, if anyone, has been the front-runner in the privacy debate. You're basing your entire argument on the fact that Microsoft has given more to charity than Apple. That may be so, but that has nothing to do with device privacy.

Interesting... I am leaning the opposite direction. The latest intel is that the FBI now wants Apple to create the backdoor hack for 12 other iPhones as well: Justice Department Wants Apple to Extract Data From 12 Other iPhones

This just smacks of federal overreach... either way, it's definitely a complex issue.

Of course, this was never about accessing a single device because the FBI already had access. They simply want a backdoor to any device they see fit. Again, the FBI doesn't answer to anyone. They can do, virtually, anything they please.