Apple Buyout of Beats Now Official for $3 Billion; Tim Cook Memo Explains Why

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dre-cook-and-others.jpg

For those interested in this off-topic news, Beats Music is the first Android app ever purchased by Apple. :p

The Apple buyout of Beats by Dre Audio is official. Apple will be paying $3 Billion to acquire the headphone and music streaming services company. Most industry pundits believe that the later part of the company was the main impetus for the buyout. It turns out from an internal Tim Cook memo that this assessment was accurate.

Now that Apple is acquiring Beats...

Continue Reading @: Apple Buyout of Beats Now Official for $3 Billion; Tim Cook Memo Explains Why - iPhone Forums

swc2001

Reaction score
I never have understood Beats audio even when it was with HTC. What is so special about it? I read the article and still dont understand what it is or does. I mean it is some kind of music subscription... is it to buy music or just listen? Does it sound better through their head phones as opposed to say Bose Head phones... I mean what? Very confused by this. LOL

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it's mostly a branding story, pure and simple. Probably explains why Apple would pay $3B for it.

B-Unit

Reaction score
I never have understood Beats audio even when it was with HTC. What is so special about it? I read the article and still dont understand what it is or does. I mean it is some kind of music subscription... is it to buy music or just listen? Does it sound better through their head phones as opposed to say Bose Head phones... I mean what? Very confused by this. LOL

There are two parts, music streaming and headphones/speakers/'electronics'. The streaming is pretty standard. The headphone division is suppose to produce headphones that actually produce bass, vital for listening to rap music, hence Dr Dre's involvement.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Forgot Beats just bought MOG...that makes a little more sense for Apple. I really liked MOG, maybe not quite the selection for "serious" music listeners but 320kbps!

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
I know a couple of audiophiles that had a pair of Beats for about a day before returning them. Apparently they're pretty terrible aside from the kick their bass provides. It's amazing what you can get people to buy if you have the right person endorsing the product and market it a particular way.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I started to buy a pair of beats but saw a pair of Sol republic next to them at best buy. After listening to the Sol republic I ended up buying them as they were $100 cheaper with better overall sound quality (in my opinion). The other thing I like is that they are customizable. I currently have the track airs which are the wireless pair. The radios for the airs are made by Motorola and I have to say by far they are the best Bluetooth music headphones I have ever owned. Battery life is amazing and I do not have any issues with cutting out that I experience with other head phones. But this is a thread about beats so I'll get back on subject.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Got a pair of Beats earbuds with the Rezound....hated those things, don't stay in the ear and stick out like Frankenstein.

But just imagine the lemming buying Apple Beats Buds!!!! That's like double-redundant marketing/branding overkill.