Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
TiKL Talk-To-Touch, Walkie Talkie made simple: An Android App Review

ico-time.png
10. Jun, 2010 written by Andrew Alliance / androidheadlines.com

App Name: TiKL by TiKL Inc.

Description: TiKL is a simple VoIP push to talk communication app. With TiKL, You can instantly talk to your friends and family with the touch of a button. Talk to one or multiple individuals simultaneously. The only thing you need is their phone number. The days of waiting for the phone to ring are over. TiKL – Touch To Talk (Beta) is a quick, simple and free handie talkie application that is currently available in the marketplace. Turn your android phone into the ultimate Push To Talk (PTT) Walkie Talkie.

How it works: TiKL Touch-To-Talk is a data driven Android application that allows you to communicate with your contacts via WIFI, GPRS, EDGE, CDMA1X, and 3G. This application does not use any of your phone carrier’s plan minutes but it does have a built in SMS option to send other individuals a link to the application on the marketplace so they can give it a shot as well. When you are using the walkie talkie, there are two colors to pay close attention to: the blue color means that you are not in a call session with anyone but the red color means that you are indeed in a call session with someone. Just simply push to talk when you are in red and you will be able to continue your conversation (s). TiKL also allows you to talk to more than one individuals by selecting multiple names from the contact list.

Opinion: Let’s face it, text messaging is great but sometimes it is not that convenient. Many of us remember the good ol’ days when we used to direct connect via Nextel (or similar platforms) and turn our thumbs green because of the amount of time that we spent on that handie talkie. Although we had our challenges with this method of communication then, we can definitely say that once in a while a company comes along and gives us the ability to relive those days again on our beloved Android platform. I will say that this has been a great experience so much so that I’ve been recommending this application to anyone I know. This is definitely the application to be on the soapbox for. Since the application is in BETA, TiKL has a poll going on their facebook page to select the next features that will be implemented in the app in the near future. One of the features currently in discussion is additional phone support (Blackberry, Iphone, Symbian etc…). One of the things that I saw lacking was a faster way to search for your contacts by way of a search box or slider. We are shaping the update cycle of this application so do not hesitate to give your input. The more feedback we give TiKL, the more we will benefit from this nifty application

TiKL Talk-To-Touch, Walkie Talkie made simple: An Android App Review | Androidheadlines.com

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
This is truly an awesome app. Everyone of my friends and family that have Android have this and it is fantastic. The new version even has a Do Not Disturb feature that make it even more useful. Truly a must have especially if you have friends and family with Android handsets.

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
hmm... never really got the PTT thing... what do you guys find better about it than using your phone as a phone?

Darkseider

Reaction score
hmm... never really got the PTT thing... how is it better than using your phone as a phone?

Convenience of just pushing a button and conversing really quick. If they aren't available you don't have to listen to a voicemail message. Also you can conference anyone in that also has it just like group talk on a Nextel. So if you want to talk to say 3 of your friends really quick to make plans it is also very helpful.

diverbelow

Reaction score
Just installed this app, and email my android friends, family and wife to install this app. Will post later with my findings.

OP
Shadez

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69

WhiskeySix

Reaction score
I know, I know... it was a joke :D

Given GV, IM, and email, I just don't use the phone as a phone all that much, so I've never really worried about running out of minutes :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Installed on mine and my wife's phones. And while it seemed to work for a few minutes, I found after using it that it failed to "ring" the other phone. I uninstalled and may try reinstalling but so far it seems a failure (with the obvious caveat that user error may be involved.)

HuskerStorm

Reaction score
Yeah this doesnt work worth a dang on me and my wifes phones, we talk and when it relays it to the other phone you can't even understand it at all...looking forward to updates on this though!

zfly9

Reaction score
Yeah this doesnt work worth a dang on me and my wifes phones, we talk and when it relays it to the other phone you can't even understand it at all...looking forward to updates on this though!

Tried it with my buddy, miles apart, works perfect. Very clear!

44cuse

Reaction score
Excellent App-Works Great

I have never used this type of functionality before, but can see where it would work great for places where you would text but may not want to. Case in point: skiing. Perfect for skiing.

Tested this morning to a friend on the East Coast and it worked perfectly.

44cuse