TiKL Talk-To-Touch, Walkie Talkie made simple: An Android App Review

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess I don't use it enough to justify having it on all the time. I mainly use it to contact a few friends from my end. I see it as kind of a gimmick. Unless I really have a job or a situation where I need a walkie, i wouldn't use it. Cool app though for sure

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
D.) If you have an android device, why are you worried about texting charges? The minimum plan is something like 500 texts.

Huh? I don't know any carrier that requires customers to have a messaging plan. Verizon certainly doesn't. My plan includes 250 messages, but it's optional - I could go with no plan at all, and pay per message.

Nosey

Reaction score
Great app, but I wish it would use a username or let me assign the phone number, I use google voice for my phone number, I don't even know the actual number that my phone has without looking it up, I would prefer people not know the actual number to the phone but with this app I have to let them have the actual number

would like to see this option in an update

Natey2

Reaction score
If you don't have a texting plan, then why would you try to send a text?

I don't have a text messaging plan, but I send text messages all the time.
Use GoogleVoice, or look for textPlus, POPtext, or TextFree in the Market.
Basically, they assign you another phone number that you can use for text messaging, and it is free. And it shields your primary phone number from abuse too.
Carrier SMS/text messaging plans are a ripoff IMO, especially if you have a data plan.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using DroidForums app

Natey2

Reaction score
Does the other person have to have the same program

No. I can text people who have a real Carrier text messaging plan.
Be sure to set it up so that it does not tie into your Carrier SMS; the app will try to be your standard SMS app, and you have to indicate "No", and let it generate a new phone number for your app.

Last edited:

DroidStang

Reaction score
Ok setup a Google voice account, said use a new number, istalled app on my TB, opened the Google voice and sent test texts to my BB and replied so from within Google voice I used the text feature to send texts back and forth to blackberry, those are not going to show up on Verizon Bill

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

DroidStang

Reaction score
One more question........if you setup your TB to use the option to use your Google voice number to dial the number you want to call, and you are calling a non Verizon number, Willis count against your peak mins...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Natey2

Reaction score
I used the text feature to send texts back and forth to blackberry, those are not going to show up on Verizon Bill

Be sure to uncheck the "Notification via text messsge (SMS)" option, or GV will send a SMS to your real phone and you will be billed by your Carrier.

Did I already mention SMS is a big ripoff by the Carriers? ;)

But be aware that GV can't send text messages to some numbers (e.g. short numbers) that Carrier SMS can.

I use textPlus these days, not GV.

Last edited:

Natey2

Reaction score
One more question........if you setup your TB to use the option to use your Google voice number to dial the number you want to call, and you are calling a non Verizon number, Willis count against your peak mins...

Unfortunately, GV calling uses your phone minutes too, I believe. Someone correct me if I am wrong.