TiKL Talk-To-Touch, Walkie Talkie made simple: An Android App Review

rofii

Reaction score
I think I saw a few other walkie-talkie apps on the market. I think some of them use bluetooth, though, so you have to be near the other person. Anyone know of any other apps like this that are more solid?

I somehow doubt that they use bluetooth, since the effective range of bluetooth is far less than the effective range of the human voice while talking at a normal volume :p

Usually bluetooth can only maintain a connection over a distance of about 30ft, and if you're trying to stream music or voice over if you may be limited to 6-10ft depending on your hardware. Basically, you'd be better off shouting :p

sincerity

Reaction score
wonder if there is going to be a way to accept the starting dialogue...for instance, friend hit me up this morning as I was walking into office. Wasn't a big deal, but if I were in a meeting or he said something inappropriate, that would be a problem. Need like a button that pops up and you can open the dialogue instead of just going straight to your speaker ... Thoughts?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hmm... never really got the PTT thing... what do you guys find better about it than using your phone as a phone?

You ask "Are you busy?" They answer "yes" conversation done that quickly
My signal at home is lousy so I use Wi-Fi and really like that feature
Support our troops!
slidered from a wifi monolith

rofii

Reaction score
wonder if there is going to be a way to accept the starting dialogue...for instance, friend hit me up this morning as I was walking into office. Wasn't a big deal, but if I were in a meeting or he said something inappropriate, that would be a problem. Need like a button that pops up and you can open the dialogue instead of just going straight to your speaker ... Thoughts?

That seems like it defeats the whole purpose of PTT :p

If I recall, there used to be an unofficial code of etiquette regarding PTT. My uncle told me about it like 10 years ago when he was showing off his new Nextel phone.

If you're initiating the conversation you are supposed to push the button, say nothing, and let it go. This will chirp the other person twice, once when you push and again when you let go. If the other person doesn't respond it means they're busy.

This saves your phone from shouting something like "where you at motherf*cker?" in the middle of a funeral. (I know someone that actually happened to)

jlilnc14

Reaction score
how to delete favorite contacts

how do i delete favorite contacts?

Ganon6000

Reaction score
TiKL Talk-To-Touch/ Caller ID

When u contact some one... what do they see on their caller ID?.. Ur phone number or a Screen name u make? I'm looking for an app like this where I can contact/ talk with others, but not having give away my actual phone number

rza49311

Reaction score

This feature was just added yesterday. You can set the privacy mode to where the person can't talk unless you respond first.

DroidStang

Reaction score
In reference to this statement " This application does not use any of your phone carrier’s plan minutes but it does have a built in SMS option to send other individuals a link to the application on the marketplace so they can give it a shot as well."

If I don't have a text plan and the others block text, are you charged when to send invite?

x02ssmarox

Reaction score
In reference to this statement " This application does not use any of your phone carrier’s plan minutes but it does have a built in SMS option to send other individuals a link to the application on the marketplace so they can give it a shot as well."

If I don't have a text plan and the others block text, are you charged when to send invite?

If you don't have a texting plan, then why would you try to send a text? What difference does it make if the other party blocks texts too? The SMS option is only a text with a marketplace link for your friend to download. Its not mandatory to use the app. Invites from within the app are as simple as picking a contact, and then pressing the talk button.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

x02ssmarox

Reaction score
Btw, for anyone else that posted in this thread, the app has been drastically improved. New features like instant messaging, ringtone choices, and privacy settings for incoming calls.

DroidStang

Reaction score
Why worry, cause I have no testing and once replied to so damn Verizon link that sent a text and was charged .25 that's why I was asking is this a testing plan built in, don't want to pay a quarter everytime send a invite, does that make anymore sense?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

x02ssmarox

Reaction score
Why worry, cause I have no testing and once replied to so damn Verizon link that sent a text and was charged .25 that's why I was asking is this a testing plan built in, don't want to pay a quarter everytime send a invite, does that make anymore sense?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

None at all actually.
A.) If verizon sent you a text, you shouldn't have been charged. However, if you didn't have a data plan, you would have inccured charges for data usage when clicking the link.

B.)No app charges you for any texting usage, because its the carriers(verizon) responsibility to send/receive it.

C.) If you don't have a texting plan, then don't use the invite feature. That goes for any app that offers that service. If you do, and then your messaging app appears with a pre-written message and a market link, than you know its going to text.

D.) If you have an android device, why are you worried about texting charges? The minimum plan is something like 500 texts.

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been using this app for about 6 months now. I like it. It's just annoying that it's always running and starting up in the background. Other than that it's been good to me

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

x02ssmarox

Reaction score
I've been using this app for about 6 months now. I like it. It's just annoying that it's always running and starting up in the background. Other than that it's been good to me

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

If it isn't running, then how would it know that incoming call is happening? Just like Kik or Handcent is always running.