Thunderbolt Google Voice and Airplane Mode

CixrTyx

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I'm hoping I can get some help with a problem I'm having.

I have google voice and a number and when I put the device on airplane mode but then connect to a wireless network(ala home network) I still can't make calls EVEN though I've put it to go through google voice number to make the call. Did I assume wrong when I thought google voice placed the calls via data/sip/voip type of transaction?

I guess the real issue lies in the fact I live in Canada and so does my family but 300 out of 365 days I work I'm in the states and I have a state side cell phone and I don't want to get charged long distance just to call my family. I assumed getting a Google voice number I would be able to make calls with my unlimited data and save my minutes and long distance charges? But I also get into situations where I'm home (in Canada) and I turn on airplane mode so that I'm not being charged roaming BUT I wanted to make/receive calls through my wireless network at home but with airplane mode turned on.

Any idea's ?

jr313

Reaction score
When you go into airplane mode you disable all data and anything else connections so theres no way you can make calls at all...and as far as google voice not sure how that works you may have to find a wifi spot to connect to so you can use it...but im not sure how google voice works

OP
C

CixrTyx

Reaction score
When you go into airplane mode you disable all data and anything else connections so theres no way you can make calls at all...and as far as google voice not sure how that works you may have to find a wifi spot to connect to so you can use it...but im not sure how google voice works

Even though I've enable Wireless network after the airplane mode?
I can go to webpages and download apps in airplane mode with wifi turned on.

jr313

Reaction score
Not sure how it works but your def not gna b able to make a call in airplane mode...wish i could help you better...sorry

DROOIID

Reaction score
Google voice uses mobile towers to make calls its not true voip. I have it too and I have looked up this problem begore.

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh Miui

OP
C

CixrTyx

Reaction score
Google voice uses mobile towers to make calls its not true voip. I have it too and I have looked up this problem begore.

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh Miui

WoW that's heartbreaking to hear. I really love Google but this just killed me! :(

Viper Daimao

Reaction score
yes, google voice still uses your phone to call. What you are doing is calling your google voice number from your phone's number and then calling out to the number you dialed. If you have one of those plans that lets you call a list of 5 or so "friends and family" numbers for free, try adding your google voice number to that list.

Enetico

Reaction score
buy groove ip from the android market, you can make and receive calls with airplane mode on and the wifi on as well