Thumbnails in gallery

Big Ry

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix an issue with my mothers D3. All the 4,000+ thumbnail images in the /DCIM/.thumbnails directory of the sdcard partition on her phones internal storage show up in the gallery. They bog the phone down and make locating actual photos next to impossible. I looked for a setting in the gallery and browser to circumvent the problem, but came up with nothing. Another issue is that all these images are taking up a ton of storage space. I tried deleting the files in astro to no avail. Can someone help me with a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Shimmy549

Reaction score
When I switched from the D2G to the D3, I didn't want all the useless files that had collected on my sd card to take up space in my brand new phone. I copied the entire sd card to my computer, reformatted the card in my D3 to wipe it and put whatever I needed/wanted back on the card.

Maybe you could try that or have your mom try. Don't transfer the contents of the DCIM folder back to the card, though. I had to because I wanted some of the pictures I took with my D2G and those were not located in my Pictures folder, but they were in the DCIM folder.

By the way, I'm not really sure why that happened with your mom's phone, but I think transferring, reformatting and transferring back could take care of the problem. If it isn't too much of a problem, I think it'd be worth a shot.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
When I switched from the D2G to the D3, I didn't want all the useless files that had collected on my sd card to take up space in my brand new phone. I copied the entire sd card to my computer, reformatted the card in my D3 to wipe it and put whatever I needed/wanted back on the card.

Maybe you could try that or have your mom try. Don't transfer the contents of the DCIM folder back to the card, though. I had to because I wanted some of the pictures I took with my D2G and those were not located in my Pictures folder, but they were in the DCIM folder.

By the way, I'm not really sure why that happened with your mom's phone, but I think transferring, reformatting and transferring back could take care of the problem. If it isn't too much of a problem, I think it'd be worth a shot.

Well the problem is that she doesn't have an sd card. This is all stored on the phones internal storage. If I had an extra, I'd give it to her to use. Perhaps its possible to backup and reformat internal
storage? I tried a wipe (without internal storage wipe), but that didn't help. I discovered about 2000 of the files were in another directory of hers. I added a "." To the beginning of the directory name so it would be hidden. That worked, but I can't locate the remaining 2000+ images. They may not be in the thumbnails directory since that's a hidden directory too. But I searched through every other directory manually and couldn't find them...

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Shimmy549

Reaction score
You could try plugging the phone into a computer and putting it into USB Mass Storage Mode. Transfer your mom's important files to the computer for safekeeping, then format the internal storage.

It's the only thing I can think of right now. I've never formatted the internal storage of any of my phones so I can't speak from experience.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
You could try plugging the phone into a computer and putting it into USB Mass Storage Mode. Transfer your mom's important files to the computer for safekeeping, then format the internal storage.

It's the only thing I can think of right now. I've never formatted the internal storage of any of my phones so I can't speak from experience.

Well the holiday is over and I'm heading out of town now lol. Maybe I can somehow walk her through it over the phone (fat chance).

Shimmy549

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that's probably the easiest thing she could try. I hope your mom is more technical than mine. Good luck.