Lost thumbnails in gallery after reset

JoeHockey

Reaction score
I just did a factory reset the other day to "clean up" my phone and I've run into a weird problem. When I go into the gallery and click on the camera roll I have no (or few) thumbnails showing. All I see are the "broken" picture icon. If I click on any of these icons the picture that should be displayed pops up with no problem. Is there someway to force my phone to "rebuild" the thumbnails? I tried just leaving the gallery open and while it seems like this brings back some thumbnails it takes FOREVER and when I reopen the gallery at a later time it doesn't seem to have kept the thumbnails it brought back. Any ideas?

OP
J

JoeHockey

Reaction score
So after doing more research I've found that this problem has not been limited to the D3 but I still haven't found a solution. I've also learned that while I thought my pictures were being saved to my sd card that apparently means the internal sd card and not the external. I'm going to try moving everything off the phone (need to back up my pics anyway) and then put them back. Hopefully that will force the phone to refresh the thumbs.

eddified

Reaction score
Did you find out anything? I'm having this problem on the Atrix 4g

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
JoeHockey said:
So after doing more research I've found that this problem has not been limited to the D3 but I still haven't found a solution. I've also learned that while I thought my pictures were being saved to my sd card that apparently means the internal sd card and not the external. I'm going to try moving everything off the phone (need to back up my pics anyway) and then put them back. Hopefully that will force the phone to refresh the thumbs.

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Move your pics onto your computer or into dropbox or something similar and reload the pics from scratch. Make sure that the files you move are the actual full size JPEG files. Once you verify that you have the full size pics safe I'd delete the thumbnail files and let your phone make new ones when you reload the pics.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

linuxgator

Reaction score
Pretty much it means that the Motorola stock gallery app is just crap. I've had this problem ongoing for a while. I will move them, delete them, reload them, completely reset the media data which clears the cache, and it may generate new thumbnails/previews for a while, but after a few days it goes back to only displaying some of them. The best thing you can do really is just to use a third party gallery, like quick pic. It won't interface directly with the camera, but it's fast and shows all the pictures.

eddified

Reaction score
I renamed my DCIM folder to something else.... and then the thumbnails started showing up. Go figure. And yes, this means that new pics will not be placed in the same place as the old pics. :(