Throw Back Thursday Droid Bionic Extended Battery!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Not to long ago Apple released an "extended battery case" for the iPhone 6s. Everyone screamed UGLY, but this is not the first time this has been done. Android OEMs put out quite a few extended batteries of their own, and early on. It is actually pretty rare for us to see extended batteries released by OEMs these days. When 4G LTE first arrived though people were finding it very difficult to make it through the morning without depleting their entire battery. This was a major issue for Android devices. The Droid Bionic was not only one of the first to utilize Verizon's 4G network it was also the first to include a dual core with 4G on Verizon.

To combat bad battery life Motorola decided to release an extended battery. This battery gave your Bionic an extra 1025mah of juice taking you from the original 1750mah to 2760mah. That is nearly on par with the size of today's smartphone batteries. The only difference was the enormous thickness of the extended battery. The bionic featured a what was then considered HUGE 4.3" screen. In such a small package the battery had to be thick. It was like carrying around a heavy brick. People gawked when you held the thing to your head.

Did anyone here sacrifice design and aesthetics for more juice? I had the extended battery on my Bionic and found that I could get a day and a half on a single charge. Also what is more shocking to you that the extended brick battery was a thing, or that a 4.3" display was considered large?

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
That battery turned a brick into a bigger brick... ugh so ugly!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
That battery turned a brick into a bigger brick... ugh so ugly!!

What? No. The bionic was so tiny. The extended battery made it more awesome. Something you could hold onto. It even worked with all the docks. I had two desk docks, two car docks and a nightstand dock.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
What? No. The bionic was so tiny. The extended battery made it more awesome. Something you could hold onto. It even worked with all the docks. I had two desk docks, two car docks and a nightstand dock.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
It was to big for me...

jadesaber2

Reaction score
I had the Bionic with the extended battery. It fit my hand way better than the stock battery/case.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know the Bionic had a bad rap at times, but I really liked mine. It was a great phone for me. It was the first phone that I liked without a case, didn't feel slippery without one. I never had the extended battery though, didn't even know there was one available. Like others, I did have a lapdock, car dock and desk dock. Good memories.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
There was war over a phone?

Gudasau

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z-Force
The Bionic is what brought me to this forum :) I was researching new phones and got all caught up in the excitement of it's release! I do remember the extended battery, but just carried a spare around with me in case I needed to swap out for a full charge on the fly.
Like sajokaz, I really liked mine and continued to use it until a little over a year ago.
I don't remember the war, so don't ask me for the skinny on it o_O

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm just kidding. Though I had the Bionic, I wasn't very active here during that time, so I'm not fully aware of the situation, but I've read some comments on it from other mods/etc. who were around.