Thoughts/opinions/questions on Moto Droid vs. Droid Incredible

vtvette

Reaction score
Please bear with me as I'm new to smart phones and while I've searched and read through many posts I'm still a little unclear on a few things:

Well I've been up for New Every 2 for almost a month now and will be moving on from my current LG Voyager (no data plan) to a smart phone. I've been holding out for the Droid Incredible when I found this forum convinced it must be the "better" phone as it's newer, better specs and getting a lot of hype on the 'net but the more I read about the Moto Droid the harder it's been to decide. A few things I've noticed:

Question:
Based on the specs listed online so far can you guys speculate how much faster the Incredible will be than the Moto Droid? Is there one spec/feature that makes the Incredible a no brainer decision over the Moto Droid or, are they very similar to each other and more a matter of personal opinion? Is the Incredible light years ahead of the Moto Droid? Will the processor being twice as fast equal a noticeable difference in performance?

Question:
I've been to the Verizon store twice now to look at phones. While most reviews say HTC's sense UI is a better, more polished UI compared to the standard Android interface the short amount of time I've played around with each phone I found I liked the Moto Droid better than the Eris. Could this be because Android 1.5 is much different than 2.1 or, maybe I just don't like sense UI? Does the Eris and the Droid seem so different because of the versions of Android they run or, does sense UI make the HTC's feel completely different than the standard Android UI? I don't know enough about the different versions of Android or Sense UI to tell.

Question:
I'm a little concerned with the stories I've read on the forum about poor headphone jacks, peeling keyboards, etc. Do you believe HTC builds a better overall product than Motorola? Should I be concerned with the overall quality/longevity of the Moto vs. the HTC?

While completely subjective I am finding I like the look of the Moto droid more and more. It's like a hand held flat screen TV. The Eris/Incredible/etc are all starting to look the same. While at first I liked the look of the Eris (very similar to the Incredible from pic's online) better, I find I am gravitating a little more towards the Moto Droid.

On a side note I personally can't stand the look of the Iphone. Half the people at work have them and to me they look like a prop from a 50's SiFi movie of the week "future crap from outerspace" or, like the 50's toaster from my grandma's house got it on with my flat screen TV and the Iphone popped out of the toaster 9 months later. I suppose it's clean and all but, it just doesn't do anything for me. And the UI on Apple crap makes me feel like i'm playing with a 13 yr old's toy It's like "my first smartphone".

anyway thanks for any input, suggestions or comments.

c_law23

Reaction score
I cant help out too much other than to say that I too came from a voyager and chose the droid last week. I absolutely love it. The quality of the product is great and i think it works wonderfully. As far as the keyboard is concerned, i bought the droid over some phones b/c (coming from the voyager) i love having a physical qwerty... gotta tell ya, the on screen keyboard is so good i hardly use at all.. maybe twice in a week and a half. And even though the talk-to-text can be a little tricky at times, i use it quite a lot.

I'm under the impression that the peeling keyboards are few and far between, and if you are going to spend $30/mo more on a phone and use it for as much as you will.... well you are of course going to buy insurance.. or at least i would assume. If the keyboard peels, take it to verizon and either replace it or demand something comparable if you aren't happy.

have fun deciding :)

welcome to the addiction

asmallchild

Reaction score
I can't tell, does the Incredible have a hardware keyboard? I am really digging the Droid's hardware keyboard. That alone would prevent me from jumping ship

HCdroid

Reaction score
IMHO if possible try them both. I for one had the Nexus 1 from T-mobile and the droid at the same time...After a week of use I returned the N1. The simple fact of not having a physical keyboard was the deal breaker for me. Was it a bit faster with the Snapdragon processor? maybe... but nothing that made me lose sleep and return the droid in comparison.

On a side note it's really funny how many people already are jumping ship and plan to sell their Droid to get the Incredible... to each it's own..

Don't get me wrong, the fact that Android OS is growing strong in numbers is a great accomplishment. I'll wait to see what Moto has in the works...for now my Droid is more than capable.

iPirate

Reaction score
Not getting an HTC phone until they start making durable phones... :icon_evil:

iPirate

Reaction score
Not getting an HTC phone until they start making durable phones... :icon_evil:

Really? I have an HTC Imagio that's been dropped several times and also survived my four year old son. The phone hasn't skipped a beat. I've actually been very impressed with the quality of mine.
bad experience with two phones...

also the HTC phones seem to have a nasty plastic feel

gixxerboy

Reaction score
i got the eries b4 i got the droid and it took me 1 day yo go back and get the droid i hate the sense ui i felt as if it dums the phone down for the user

deputc26

Reaction score
Depends if you want a hardware keyboard, if so --> Droid
if not --> Droid Incredible.
But I'm waiting for an EVO 4g type device on vzw before I upgrade, I want a 4.3" screen and a kickstand... and an 8mp camera... and hdmi out... and wi-fi router functionality... and an fm transmitter... and 720p video... and a puppy.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm waiting for also, until then the Droid:icon_ banana:

But I'm waiting for an EVO 4g type device on vzw before I upgrade, I want a 4.3" screen and a kickstand... and an 8mp camera... and hdmi out... and wi-fi router functionality... and an fm transmitter... and 720p video... and a puppy.

UggTheThug

Reaction score
if you are a serious user you have to consider the availability of root access, as far as i know it has not been discovered for the incredible(correct me if im wrong)
take a look here if you want more information on it:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

and I am in love with the physical keyboard, but I have to keep it naked or else the case cramps the board

oh btw, a dev team is working on bringing sense UI to droid, but its in early beta stages

Darkseider

Reaction score
The Incredible is indeed an excellent phone but as a Droid owner I see no reason to jump on one unless Sense UI is a MUST HAVE. I have used a Nexus One extensively while owning a Droid and I can say that aside from a slight speed bump the Nexus One just didn't do it for me. Granted my Droid is rooted so I can clock it up to 1Ghz without any issues and performance at that point is nearly indistinguishable. To each their own I say. It's YOUR phone so you ultimately have to be happy and satisfied with your decision.

armeddroid

Reaction score
That's what I'm waiting for also, until then the Droid:icon_ banana:

my sentiments exactly..

huskur

Reaction score
I agree with waiting for the 4G phones to come out. If i was making my decision today instead of months ago when i got the droid and had the incredible option i would have waited for the incredible i think. Don't get me wrong. I love the droid though and am happy with it. I do really like the fact that the incredible has b/g/n wifi capabilities since "n" is the new standard where the droid only has b/g

markwebb

Reaction score
The Incredible is indeed an excellent phone but as a Droid owner I see no reason to jump on one unless Sense UI is a MUST HAVE. I have used a Nexus One extensively while owning a Droid and I can say that aside from a slight speed bump the Nexus One just didn't do it for me. Granted my Droid is rooted so I can clock it up to 1Ghz without any issues and performance at that point is nearly indistinguishable. To each their own I say. It's YOUR phone so you ultimately have to be happy and satisfied with your decision.

I agree. I am only a 3 week old Moto Droid owner (first smartphone for me) and I absolutely love it. I see no reason to switch or change. Moreover, I like the QWERTY physical keyboard on the Moto. While the Incredible looks stylish and a bit updated, I don't see that many perks or upgrades to want to change. The Moto Droid should provide at least 18 months worth of satisfaction...until a new one appears. Let's face it; new cellphones are churned out constantly.