Thoughts on KitKat?

mboswell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
What are your thoughts on KitKat so far? I'm not impressed at all. There were things I could do on the previous OS I can't do on KitKat and some changes I thought were unnecessary. I wish I could go back!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Droid Forums

umpire.20

Reaction score
My battery life seems to be much poorer with KitKat.

If no longer have "blue" icons for bluetooth, signal, battery, etc. I miss that.

FYI ...... if you are paired to SYNC in your vehicle you will have to delete instrument & re-pair your phone in order to get "automatic connection" after restarting your vehicle.

OP
mboswell

mboswell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3

If no longer have "blue" icons for bluetooth, signal, battery, etc. I miss that.

FYI ...... if you are paired to SYNC in your vehicle you will have to delete instrument & re-pair your phone in order to get "automatic connection" after restarting your vehicle.

I also miss the blue icons. I can't comment on the battery as I haven't noticed anything yet although I've heard battery strength complaints with other phones. All the wait for KitKat was wasteful. I liked Gingerbread and I liked JellyBean...but some patches or updates are going to have to be done on KitKat before I like it. I DESPISE IT!

pctdavis

Reaction score

Ditto. Did we also lose Swype?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

splat10

Reaction score
Google keyboard has a Swype like feature and Swype can be purchased in the app store.

My battery has been better on kk and the phone rings much better. I really like it.

pctdavis

Reaction score
Google keyboard has a Swype like feature and Swype can be purchased in the app store.

My battery has been better on kk and the phone rings much better. I really like it.

I downloaded the Google gesture. It's going to take some getting used to. I need to relearn all my typical type patterns.

I really miss the blue icons. Always liked that feature.

bohemouth

Reaction score
I like the new KitKat. My Droid is like a new droid, it responds faster to my touch and it is faster to load another screen, when i swipe to open phone it is seamless, going from one screen to another, no lag at all, it's like butter on my phone.
What i don't like about it is the icons are not blue anymore, so i can't tell if i my wi fi is working properly, i had lots of problems with that previous, but it seems great now, though i did enjoy the blue, but not a deal breaker. I don't like that they changed the keyboard on me, things like the comma and the exclamation point are in different places, which I find unfortunate, i don't really use asterisk or dash that much, so that is where the comma and exclamation point used to be. typing seems to be faster, i mess up more than i did before. It doesn't seem to like my yahoo mail, as it opens my messages and does not condense them into mobile format.

Other than that, it has made my droid lightning fast. Has my battery taken a beating, it sure has, but i think that is going to be the case across the board with any phone now a days. Having my phone last for three days is a thing of the past, and I'm okay with that now, i miss it, but i just plug it in, no biggy.
I still want to try out other phones, maybe i'll wait for the Note 4 or if Motorola ever decides to come out with a phablet, i would be interested in staying with Motorola. KitKat is a okay with me.

NOVICE

Reaction score
I was one of those who didn't want KitKat. When the OTA was first initiated I was given the option to refuse the update. After a couple of weeks the bastards from Verizon downloaded this monstrosity in the middle of the night and without permission.

I understand that mucho people were desperate for this update and forwarding petitions to Verizon to up the heat. That's fine, all I'm asking is that the consumer be given the option.

I researched KitKat and concluded that it offered me absolutely nothing that I wanted. More importantly, it eliminated the utility of my SD card. I store Audible, Kindle, and music on my card. Google just screwed me there unless I root--which I don't want to do.

Hodor

Reaction score
I was one of those who didn't want KitKat. When the OTA was first initiated I was given the option to refuse the update. After a couple of weeks the bastards from Verizon downloaded this monstrosity in the middle of the night and without permission.

I understand that mucho people were desperate for this update and forwarding petitions to Verizon to up the heat. That's fine, all I'm asking is that the consumer be given the option.

I researched KitKat and concluded that it offered me absolutely nothing that I wanted. More importantly, it eliminated the utility of my SD card. I store Audible, Kindle, and music on my card. Google just screwed me there unless I root--which I don't want to do.

What he said...

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
IMO just another case of technology being forced on the unwilling. If I "want" a change - I will go buy change.
In this case, adding insult to injury.... my phone was acceptable before the "update". Now, things (like the camera) that were barely acceptable are total crap.
I went to my sons graduation last night and not one picture was in focus - total waste. A couple weeks ago at my other sons graduation, I was able to capture pics as well as video (acceptable, not great).
So what now? Go get a NEW Phone because this one has been transformed to crap? by the Update?
That would be convenient wouldn't it?
I wonder if Car Makers could install a computer chip in their vehicles and when they determined it was time for everyone to have an Upgrade that resulted in them buying new cars ..... they could just hit a button and "Upgrade" everybodys car. Neat idea huh......
Lets hear it for Big Brother.

OP
mboswell

mboswell

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
IMO just another case of technology being forced on the unwilling. If I "want" a change - I will go buy change.
In this case, adding insult to injury.... my phone was acceptable before the "update". Now, things (like the camera) that were barely acceptable are total crap.
I went to my sons graduation last night and not one picture was in focus - total waste. A couple weeks ago at my other sons graduation, I was able to capture pics as well as video (acceptable, not great).
So what now? Go get a NEW Phone because this one has been transformed to crap? by the Update?
That would be convenient wouldn't it?
I wonder if Car Makers could install a computer chip in their vehicles and when they determined it was time for everyone to have an Upgrade that resulted in them buying new cars ..... they could just hit a button and "Upgrade" everybodys car. Neat idea huh......
Lets hear it for Big Brother.

Good post...very true, too! Yes...I am now considering getting a new phone but one thing I'll tell you is that a new phone I'm getting will not be a Motorola! Not right now anyway.

missbeca03

Reaction score
I've been having trouble with sms. I keep getting an error messenger. I think it happens more when I have a group message in my inbox but I can't exactly pin point it to that. My mom has been having the problem on her droid as well. Anyone else?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I like Kit Kat.

Agree with the SD Card issue and the grey icons... don't get that logic...
but what does that have to do with music? Music is still ok. Tried editing a video and it wouldn't let me save the edited version. dafuq?

Razr HD btw... not Maxx.